Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MAIL won't stop asking for a password.

For some reason this just started happening. Mail is CONSTANTLY asking for a password in one of my accounts. I've zapped the PRAM, I've used Keychain and deleted the one account and used Keychain first aid, and I've repaired permissions and re-started the **** computer. ALL to no avail. I keep getting Mail asking for the password at random intervals. Any ideas or what am I missing here? This is literally driving me nuts.

Quad-Core Intel Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 9:16 PM

12 replies

Jan 18, 2013 10:20 PM in response to Scott Mosher

In Mail's Window Menu, choose Connection Doctor, any red dots for status, if so what is the exact message?

Then click the Show Details button & Check again.

The Password rejection can confuse people since it's a catch all meaning...

This Password, Username, Authentication method... is not recognized on this Port to this Server.

So if WebMail works it's not Name or Password, but one of the other ones.

Jan 20, 2013 11:22 AM in response to Scott Mosher

I've had this problem too, and it's always because the password for the POP3 account gets deleted from Mail's Preferences (under Accounts), or else a duplicate keychain entry has somehow appeared--without a password--and that's the one that Mail chose when it was time to fetch the mail. Have you verified that: (a) the password for this account is in the Account Information pane of Mail's Account preferences, (b) Password authentication is selected under the Advanced pane of Mail's Account preferences (with the port that your ISP has recommended and also the Use SSL checkbox if applicable)?

Also, check Keychain Access for anything that looks like a duplicate entry for this account that doesn't have a password--for this you'll need to click the "i" button when the account is highlighted and then click "Show Password" in the popup window.

Jan 28, 2013 9:34 AM in response to Scott Mosher

The Password rejection can confuse people since it's a catch all meaning...

This Password, Username, Authentication method... is not recognized on this Port to this Server, or a server end problem.

If using a browser to login via WebMail works it's not Name or Password, but one of the other ones.

The receiving email ports are:

IMAP is port 143

IMAP-SSL is port 993

POP is port 110

POP-SSL is port 995

Outgoing ports are...

SMTP and SMTP-SSL is on ports 25, 587 and 465. Port 587 has to be SSL, and port 465 is enforced TLS-wrapped and is generally used by Outlook users.

Feb 6, 2013 7:17 AM in response to Scott Mosher

I have been plagued by the same problem for months. Just tried something which seems to have fixed it; no idea if it will work for you. Under Preferences > General, I found that my Default Email Reader said "Eudora", which I used as my mail client years ago. I set it back to Mail, and the password requests seem to have stopped.

Could be wrong, but thought I'd share.

May 11, 2013 5:07 PM in response to Scott Mosher

This happens to me too, incessantly!! The worst thing is I can be typing in another window and suddenly I'm typing in the password bar that aggresively pops up again and again - driving me so nuts! At the very least, the password request could remain in the background. Alternatively it would be good if I could limit the number of times Mail prompts for a password per hour.

MAIL won't stop asking for a password.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.