Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find My iPhone--location services on Macbook Pro Problem

Having a problem with Find My iPhone locating my Macbook Pro connected to my wireless network (I get an "Online, no location available" message).

Find My iPhone works normally with my iPhone and iPad on my wireless network.

Settings for my Macbook Pro:

Location Services turned on

Date and Time: Set time zone automatically - checked ON, however, for some reason I get a message "Unable to determine current location at this time."

Firewall: On, (no change with Stealth Mode on or off...)

I'm curious as to why my iPhone and iPad seem to be able to determine their current locations via my WiFi (cellular turned off), but my MacBook Pro can't...

Thoughts? Settings?

Thanks....

Bob

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 10:21 AM

6 replies

Jan 19, 2013 10:32 AM in response to stevejobsfan0123

stevejobsfan0123,

Firewall off doesn't "fix" the problem...

Location services on WiFi in Shanghai didn't work on my MBP, though I didn't have Time Zone set to "automatic"... Location services on my iOS devices in Shanghai worked ok. With respect to the Auto Time Zone setting, the location service on my iOS devices seems to work with the auto-time-zone turned off, so I'm not sure why it would be needed on the MacBook Pro...

Thanks for thoughts...

Bob

Nov 7, 2013 5:10 AM in response to Bob Gold

This happened to me on my computer!

I signed in under a different wireless system and it found me and got rid of "Unable to locate ..." message in the Time Zone tab of the Date & Time System Preferences.

Specifically I signed out of my LAN, by signing into Bright House Networks, waited a bit, and it found me.

Then I switched off Wi-Fi, switched it back on and signed into my LAN.

Voila!

Find My iPhone--location services on Macbook Pro Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.