Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't my Ipad and Apple TV connect via home sharing?

Please help!

I have just purchased from a friend the second generation of Apple TV. I have restored it to its factory settings and it has automatically updated to the newest software. I have connected it to my home wifi and it picks up my Imatch for media and videos etc. I have turned on home sharing and entered my only iTunes account login details which seems to be all fine.

I have the iPad 2 which is running the news version of ISO6 and same for my iphone4. I have downloaded to both of them the Apple TV remote controller app so I can mirror onto my Apple TV.

All devices are running on the same wifi network and all on the same iTunes account. However, for some unknown reason the iPad and iPhone can't find the Apple TV when trying to connect. I have been continuously re-setting and rebooting everything but nothing is working. The only time my iPad has found the Apple TV is when I am about 10 metres down the corridor. But as I enter the room I immediately lose connection.

As you could imagine this is extremely annoying and any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

AppleTV 2, iOS 6.0.2, Problem

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 1:30 PM

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Intermittent problems are often a result of interference. Interference can be caused by other networks in the neighbourhood or from household electrical items.

You can download and install iStumbler (NetStumbler for windows users) to help you see which channels are used by neighbouring networks so that you can avoid them, but iStumbler will not see household items.

Refer to your router manual for instructions on changing your wifi channel or adjusting your multicast rate.

There are other types of problems that can affect networks, but this is by far the most common, hence worth mentioning first. Networks that have inherent issues can be seen to work differently with different versions of the same software. You might also try moving the Apple TV away from other electrical equipment.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2013 1:30 PM in response to DarKnight89

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Intermittent problems are often a result of interference. Interference can be caused by other networks in the neighbourhood or from household electrical items.

You can download and install iStumbler (NetStumbler for windows users) to help you see which channels are used by neighbouring networks so that you can avoid them, but iStumbler will not see household items.

Refer to your router manual for instructions on changing your wifi channel or adjusting your multicast rate.

There are other types of problems that can affect networks, but this is by far the most common, hence worth mentioning first. Networks that have inherent issues can be seen to work differently with different versions of the same software. You might also try moving the Apple TV away from other electrical equipment.

Jan 19, 2013 3:18 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Thank you for your response but sadly this has not helped.

It's straight because the room behind mine seems to find the Apple TV box on the wifi, however my room with the Apple TV in cant find it at all. This is annoy as my brother keeps accidentally AirPlaying his music so it starts playing through my tv.

I can't understand how his phone is picking up the signal but my iPad or phone can't?

Jan 20, 2013 4:42 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Hi,

I downloaded I stumbler to my mac and it picks up the Apple TV no problem. States that airplay etc is available. The only wifi it shows is my own and has a strong signal.

My Apple TV was slightly above my Xbox so I have moved it to the other side of my table but still my ipad and iPhone can not find it. Even in the rooms I could pick it up in, the signal is now gone.

Do you have any more ideas?

Jan 21, 2013 11:04 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Right,

I have been playing around for the last 24 hours and still getting no where.

However I think you are 100% correct with the signal problem. I can't understand why it can't find my iPad from two meters away but can pick the signal up from down the hall.

I managed to connect to the Apple TV from the hall way and walked back into the room. It held the signal for about 5 minutes then dropped again. When I tried to re-connect it of cause couldn't.

Do you have any step by step guides on what I could do or try and also do you think their could be a problem with he box it's self. I did purchase it second hand so I don't know the history of the products conditions and accidents.

Jan 22, 2013 7:35 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I have two routers in my house.

The 1st is located down stairs, directly underneth my brothers room (where I can pick up the Apple TV). The 2nd is basically above my room in the loft.

Basically the further away I am with my Ipad or Iphone from the Apple TV, The more likely it is for me to connect. Last night I even manually imputted the IP address to show the same as my Ipad but sadly they still couldnt find eachother.

Why can't my Ipad and Apple TV connect via home sharing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.