Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Avast

Hello. I have the free version of Avast! downloaded on my MacBook and I ran a full system scan twice and each time it found 2 infections, "infected" java files. Avast gave no direction as to what to do, so I removed the 2 files myself. Now my macbook won't connect to the Internet. Any s

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Try to install OS X 10.8.2 & 10.6.8

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 10:12 PM

3 replies

Jan 19, 2013 10:15 PM in response to Sugary Quasar

I think that I already replied to your question in another thread - you're going to have to backup your internal drive using Time Machine and then erase your hard drive and install teh system anew. I would start with the Snow Leopard isntallation disk, erase your hard drive an reinstall SL, do all of the updates to 10.6.8 and then redownload Mountain Lion from the App Store.

After that you can use your Time Machine backup to restore.

Clinton

Jan 19, 2013 11:17 PM in response to Sugary Quasar

Sugary Quasar wrote:

Hello. I have the free version of Avast! downloaded on my MacBook and I ran a full system scan twice and each time it found 2 infections, "infected" java files. Avast gave no direction as to what to do, so I removed the 2 files myself. Now my macbook won't connect to the Internet.

Avast has a reputation right now of falsely identifying a few files as being infected, including system files, so I hope that's not what it found. The only way for us to give you any advise in this matter is if you know the exact infection names used by Avast along with the file names and locations.

It's not clear from your profile what version of OS X you are currently using, so straighten us out on that, as well.

Avast

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.