Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Impossible to de-authorising Apple IDs on lost, stolen, broken computers/devices.

This is more of a statement than a question, and to find the views of other itunes users, as I already know the official Apple stance on this.

You can only have 5 devices assigned to share any one apple ID. When you want to add another you have to de-authorise one of the previous ones. This can only be done on the device/computer that the authorisation was made from.

Here is my point.....

I am now stuck on 5 devises, when only 3 are in use. The other 2 devise can't send the de-authorisation request, as one is totally dead and the other passed to a friend.

Just like most people, I do not read all the way through apple agreements. Besides, some of the practical issues with using apple products, are not all within the agreement anyway. Some of this stuff is trial and error, just like most things in life. Or you find it when you come up against a problem. Yes, I would have de-authorised the computer that I gave to my friends daughter, if I knew that I had to do that. But, how many people really would know to do this? I am by no means, somebody who just hits install without reading options and clicking next like it was going out of fashion. But when I formatted the computer I gave away, I did not think for one minute that I would have had to de-authorise the ID, I really don't think many other people would either.

There are a few instances were de-authorisation is impossible from the original device/computer. Your device is stolen. Your devices was lost. Your device has a component change that has an impact on the authorisation. I think you get the point. So even if a person knew all the ins and outs to the apple agreement over itunes IDs etc. You could still be in my position due to the examples I have just listed.

It would be way easier for the owner of the ID, to be able to log into their apple account on line and manage their authorisations/devices. Not only would this option be easier and more efficient. But, and this is a big but. it would also be way more secure. A lost or stolen device will have a certain measure of risk to your security about it. OK, a third party may not know your password to gain access on the device. But why give any chance at all? Besides, in certain situations, a device will have other security issues that any of your apple info could be exploited for. Being able to use the lost/stolen device to gain access to your network and fleece your apple content, springs to mind for starters.

This whole situation really comes off as being at least an over sight by apple, and at worse just plain stupid, when you compare it to options for your itunes in the cloud account. Because, with this you do get the option to de-authorise any device from your web account, and does not have to be done on the device itself. Go figure!!!!!

It's really frustrating to say the least. I am a Windows PC user, who has worked on that platform since WFW, for doing pro audio and film production. But I have to be honest. For day to day personal use, you just can't beat the IOS platform and the hand held devices by apple. I love this stuff so much, that my home and personal entertainment needs are all fairly much covered by IOS. It may not be the very best, but it beats everything else hands down for convenience and intergration. Microsoft, Google and everyone else, all make great portable operating systems and devices. But for my use, IOS really does have the edge. This is why it so frustrating that the only solution to my problem. Is to wait another 7 months before I can de-authorise my whole account and start again. This is such a stupid solution, what brainiac at apple got paid for that idea?

Anyway, I would love to hear from other users on this point, or anyone from apple who can point out why this is the way it is, or if I am missing the point.

Cheers, Dave.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 9:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 9:42 PM

The iTunes Store staff can perform additional Deauthorize Alls. The usage of it is limited in this way because it could be used to abuse the iTunes Store authorization model.

(74862)

4 replies

Jan 19, 2013 10:05 PM in response to Niel

Neil.

Thanks for your really quick reply. I don't want to sound unappreciative, but I have a few questions in regard to what you have said.

How does this limitation help the reducution in possible abuse of the "iTunes Store authorization mode"?

Would this explination then mean that the "iTunes in the iCloud" authorisation options are at risk of abuse? As this option uses the very same method that you say is not used for " iTunes Store authorization model" to avoid abuse.

Why is this option of itunes store staff being able to perform additional de-authorisations, not mentioned on the user account pages, or in deed anywhere that I could see on the itunes site.

Again, if I am missing some obvious point here, please do let me know.

Thanks, Dave.

Jan 20, 2013 7:38 AM in response to LIVERPOOL TV

Neil.

Thanks again for the suggestion about contacting iTunes support. A really helpfull member of the support staff has re-set my authorisations.

I still think some of my observations are valid. Maybe Apple could concider some of my points, as there is in my opinion, some room to make the whole de-authorisation route a little bit more user friendly.

Again, thank you for your time and great help.

Dave.

Impossible to de-authorising Apple IDs on lost, stolen, broken computers/devices.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.