Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture's captioning broken?

Aperture's caption system seems to be broken, or at least not talking to other programs as it should.

In Aperture 3.4.3 I can enter data into the Caption field, but on export it can't be found by PhotoShop or Lightroom: PS has a Description field, which I'm sure is what Aperture used in earlier versions and LR has a Caption field, but it lifts the data from Aperture's image Description field, NOT the Caption field.

In Aperture an Image Description field exists, but it is non-editable. The Description/Caption field in LR or PS is editable.

With my new Olympus Camera, the Image Description defaults to Olympus Digital Camera (in block caps mind you) and the correct caption is nowhere to be found.

Apple's info panel shows this description in the Get Info panel, not the caption entered in Aperture.

While I could get in a long discussion about the relative merits of Description and Caption fields, in the end it's pointless - if I need to export images with captions, I now have to open the exported files in Lightroom and change OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA to the required caption.

Has anyone else found this problem and is there a workaround so I don't have to learn Lightroom?

User uploaded file

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Aperture 3.4.3, CS6

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 3:59 AM

3 replies

Jan 30, 2013 7:34 AM in response to Nigel Paterson1

I just discovered that I'm having the same problem. I use Aperture in my work as a photo editor for a daily newspaper.

Yesterday, I rewrote the captions for several images created by one of our staff photographers. When I exported the images and then sent them to Associated Press, the original captions are what appeared.

I've read a couple of different threads about this issue, but I don't think I've seen any responses from an Apple rep. Is Apple aware of the issue?

Aperture's captioning broken?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.