Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erasing all corrupt files - unknown user permissions?

Hi there,

I'd like to fully erase my Iomega Hard Drive but on most files, it says they are locked and will not let me move them to the trash.

Have tried using 'Get Info' and attempting to modify permissions but it just won't work. Have tried various apps too - all to no avail.

I can use the Terminal if such requirements arise.

The files say 'You have unknown access'. They are Zero KB but look messy on the Hard Drive. I'd like them gone please.

When I try to move them to the Trash, I get the following error: The operation can’t be completed because one or more required items can’t be found.

(Error code -35)

Help please. 😀

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 4:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 4:43 AM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

If you want to erase the external disk, instead of deleting the files, use Disk Utility to erase the disk. Open Disk Utility, select the external disk in the sidebar, go to Erase tab and erase the disk. With this, you will avoid that problem and it will be faster

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2013 4:43 AM in response to MuckyDucky

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

If you want to erase the external disk, instead of deleting the files, use Disk Utility to erase the disk. Open Disk Utility, select the external disk in the sidebar, go to Erase tab and erase the disk. With this, you will avoid that problem and it will be faster

Erasing all corrupt files - unknown user permissions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.