Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't share Aperture previews with iPhone

I currently have my iPhone 5 configured to sync all photos & albums from my iPhoto library and it works fine. I decided to change the iPhone setting to sync from Aperture instead, and I get the following tutorial:

"Your Aperture Library could not be found. Open the preferences window in Aperture and enable the preference to share previews with other applications."

I checked the Previews tab in Aperture Preference and it's set to share with iLife & iWork "Always", with the only other two options being being "When quitting Aperture" and "Never".

There is no place (that I can see) to configure Previews to be shared with other applications...just iLife & iWork. How can I get my iPhone to sync with Aperture previews? Thanks!

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion, + 24-inch LED Cinema Display

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 6:00 AM

4 replies

Jan 20, 2013 6:35 AM in response to Larry McJunkin

Are you using an Aperture library with Aperture or an iPhoto library?

I checked the Previews tab in Aperture Preference and it's set to share with iLife & iWork "Always", with the only other two options being being "When quitting Aperture" and "Never".

And have you enabled the generation of Previews?

Enabeling sharing will not automatically create the previews. Is the option "New projects automatically create previews" set?

You can also set the option to create previews for each project individually from the actions menu in the Inspector panel, like this:

User uploaded file

Also, selection images and ctrl-clicking will give you the option to update the previews.

If you are sure, that all your images have previews, but you still do not see them when syncing, you may have a problem with the Aperture preferences file.

The Media Bowser looks into the Aperture Preferences file to find the Aperture Library. To force the preferences to be written, quit Aperture.

If that does not suffice, switch to another Aperture library and back again using the command "File > Switch to Library". If you do not have a second Aperture Library for testing, create one "File > Switch to Library > Other/New"

Sometimes the Preferences file may have become corrupted, then quit Aperture and delete the com.apple.Aperture.plist file from the "Preferences" folder in your user library. But if you do this, you will have to redo all settings, you customized using the "Preferences" panel.

Regards

Léonie

Jan 20, 2013 6:48 AM in response to léonie

leonieDF: My Aperture library is just my shared iPhoto library. I really don't use iPhoto any more since installing Aperture a month ago.

Apparently, "Maintain Previews for Project" is the default setting. It's configured for that when selecting "Current Projects".

It seems unreasonable that the pref file is currupt...I've only been using Aperture a short time. I have configured some things in it, however, that I'd like to not have to reconfigure...so will leave this one until last. Or at best, try it, and if the problem isn't fixed...reinstall the original pref file.

Or...since both Aperture and iPhoto are using the same library, perhaps I should just leave my iPhone syncing from iPhoto. Does it really matter if my iPhone syncs from one vs. the other?

Jan 20, 2013 7:13 AM in response to Larry McJunkin

My Aperture library is just my shared iPhoto library. I really don't use iPhoto any more since installing Aperture a month ago.

That is what I suspected.

The Media Browser may not find your Aperture Library, because an Aperture Library has the file extension ".aplibrary", but the library you are using is an iPhoto Library with the extension ".photolibrary". When I use an iPhoto Library with Aperture, the Media Browser will show the wrong library, the Aperture Library I last openened.

Does it really matter if my iPhone syncs from one vs. the other?

I'd recommend to simply open your library also in iPhoto to make it the current iPhoto library and to set iTunes to sync with iPhoto. I should not really matter.

Regards

Léonie

Jan 20, 2013 7:30 AM in response to léonie

I'd recommend to simply open your library also in iPhoto to make it the current iPhoto library and to set iTunes to sync with iPhoto. I should not really matter.

I'm sure it's already set since the number of photos are the same in either iPhoto, Aperture, or on my iPhone...and I've always used only one library with Aperture...my iPhoto library.

Thanks for explaining this!

Can't share Aperture previews with iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.