Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture changing pixel size after using Retouch/Repair/Clone tool?

I apologize if this is a stupid question - I'm new to using Aperture and have a rudimentary knowledge (at best) about the mechanics of Aperture.

I use the retouch tool on a portion of my photo, and the pixel size is reduced. I want to maintain the original 12.0megapixels. How do I work with the photo without changing the pixel size - or, how can I restore the orginal pixel size after editing the photo?

I've also cropped the photo, constraining the aspect ratio at 4:5.

Here is the file info before I start working with it:

User uploaded file

And after using the retouch, this happens:

User uploaded file

Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 6:06 AM

14 replies

Jan 20, 2013 6:50 AM in response to kl16

That is very puzzling. Aperture never, ever changes the original image file when editing. The originals are kept exactly as imported, and the changes will be applied to the version. The edited version will show exactly the same pixel size, even if you crop the file.

Please explain in more detail, how exactly you are editing your image. Do you export and reimport it after editing?

Regards

Léonie

Jan 20, 2013 10:57 AM in response to léonie

Thank you for your response! It's pretty frustrating...

So I only use Aperture for photo editing, and my files are directly imported from my camera into Aperture.

Here is an example right now - my photo was imported from my camera.

1) I open it in aperture - It's at 12mp

User uploaded file

2) I make a duplicate copy , still at 12 MP

User uploaded file

3) I go to crop only - no change in megapixels, we're good...

4) I go to image adjustments - and do auto enhance - then this happens!

User uploaded file

5) I go to "undo " the auto enhance, and that does not restore the original size of the photo. Next,

6) I go to revert to original - and nothing changes! from my perspective, it's permanently reducing the size of the photo

There is no exporting, no re-importing, and I realize that that does change the size. Everything is within aperture, and just adding auto-enhance changes the photosize.

Is it something I am not understanding? A setting I need to change? Should I reinstall Aperture?

Jan 20, 2013 11:14 AM in response to kl16

For what its worth I am not seeing this behaviour at all. File size and pixel size remains unchanged.

I do have one question, you're 3rd step

I go to crop only - no change in megapixels, we're good...

what does this mean exactly?

Message was edited by: Frank Caggiano - Another thing if you could post a screen shot of the adjustment pane so we can see what adjustments are being applied.

Jan 20, 2013 11:26 AM in response to kl16

Again this is not normal Aperture behavior, this doesn;t occur on my system. If you could post the screen shot of the adjustments it might help.

In the meantime does this occur to every image in your library? Is this a RAW image?

If it is happening to all images in this library what happens if you make a new library and add a few images to it. Does it happen there also?

Jan 20, 2013 11:50 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank Caggiano wrote:

Again this is not normal Aperture behavior, this doesn;t occur on my system. If you could post the screen shot of the adjustments it might help.

Sure - Here is a sample image. It is not a RAW file. It appears to be happening in every image in the library. I made a new library and it appears to be happening in the same pattern. I'm in Aperture, opened a photo which was imported directly into Aperture from camera.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Now, I'm going to crop to 4:5 ratio - from what I'm hearing, crop should not effect the 12.0 mp?

Notice how the MP is now 10.6?

Now, I'll apply auto enhance:

In this case, it looks like cropping does effect the pixel size. It's a different image from what I was using before.

Now, I use the retouch tool:

The MPs are now 9.7 - it keeps getting smaller and smaller!

When you crop, is it normal for the MPs to reduce?

Thanks so much for your help, I'm so frustrated.

Jan 20, 2013 12:42 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Thanks, that does make sense about the crop -- -is this response incorrect, then? I'm just trying to understand.

That is very puzzling. Aperture never, ever changes the original image file when editing. The originals are kept exactly as imported, and the changes will be applied to the version. The edited version will show exactly the same pixel size, even if you crop the file.

Please explain in more detail, how exactly you are editing your image. Do you export and reimport it after editing?

However, crop aside, from my example from the post above, after I crop, and then retouch image, this happens - the pixel size goes down to 9.7. Is that because the retouch is altering the pixels in some way that lower the MP?

The MPs are now 9.7 - it keeps getting smaller and smaller!

When you crop, is it normal for the MPs to reduce?

Thanks so much for your help, I'm so frustrated.

Thanks Again! i'm sure it's user error =) thanks for helping me understand!

Jan 20, 2013 1:15 PM in response to kl16

A suggestion 🙂 .

Modify one of the existing Metadata Views thusly: On the Metadata Inspector, click the drop-down selector at near the top:

(Screenshot)

User uploaded file

and select edit.

In the edit dialog, select "Photo Info" from the list on the left. Then scroll the list on the right and, in the "Aperture" section, make sure both "Pixel Size" and "Original Pixel Size" are checked.

(Screenshot)

User uploaded file

Close the dialog by clicking "OK". Now select the Metadata View "Photo Info" from the dropdown list on the Metadata Inspector. You should have a list with a dozen or so information fields showing, including both the ones you checked above.

"Original Pixel Size" should be called "Original's pixel size". It tells you size, in pixels, of the image you imported. On import, Aperture calls this an "Original". As noted by Léonie, your Originals are never altered by Aperture.

"Pixel Size" tells you the pixel size of the selected Image (or the Primary Selection if multiple Images are selected).

Now select an Image that has no adjustments. Apply any adjustment _except_ cropping. Neither the "Pixel Size", nor the "Original Pixel Size" should change.

Uncheck the Adjustment Brick(s) for whatever adjustments you added above. Now crop the Image. Cropping, as Frank explained, involves selecting a smaller area from your Original. The smaller area will have smaller pixel dimensions. The "Pixel Size" should report smaller numbers, while the "Original's Pixel Size" should remain unchanged.

Is that what you see?

Now add another adjustment to the cropped Image (you can just re-check a Brick you unchecked before). Neither pixel size should change.

Is that what you see?

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger, who, alas, can distinguish binary opposites, but cannot reliably name them.

Jan 20, 2013 1:26 PM in response to kl16

-is this response incorrect, then? I'm just trying to understand.

😊 😊 it sure is! Oh what a typo! I meant to write:

That is very puzzling. Aperture never, ever changes the original image file when editing. The originals are kept exactly as imported, and the changes will be applied to the version. The edited version will show exactly the same pixel size, even if unless you crop the file.

Frank and Kirby, thanks for chiming in 😀

Jan 20, 2013 3:11 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

Thank you everyone -- I truly appreciate your expertise!

@Kirby...Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Uncheck the Adjustment Brick(s) for whatever adjustments you added above. Now crop the Image. Cropping, as Frank explained, involves selecting a smaller area from your Original. The smaller area will have smaller pixel dimensions. The "Pixel Size" should report smaller numbers, while the "Original's Pixel Size" should remain unchanged.

Is that what you see?

YES

Now add another adjustment to the cropped Image (you can just re-check a Brick you unchecked before). Neither pixel size should change.

Yes, the both remain the same.

May I ask what my affirmative response means to both of this?

((That probably the simplest answer to most aperture questions is "user-error" =) ))

Jan 20, 2013 7:55 PM in response to kl16

kl16 wrote:

May I ask what my affirmative response means to both of this?

You'll have to ask Frank. 😁 .

What does "Yes" and "Yes" mean? That this -- "Aperture changing pixel size after using Retouch/Repair/Clone tool" did not happen and is not happening. Aperture changes the pixel size when you crop (which equals telling Aperture to change the pixel dimensions) and when you rotate the image using the Straighten adjustment. It does not change the pixel size when you apply the Retouch, Repair, or Clone adjustments.

Aperture changing pixel size after using Retouch/Repair/Clone tool?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.