13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2013 12:52 PM by Distearth
haroldtmcwit Level 1 (0 points)

Hi All,

details first

OsX v 10.6.1

Keynote V 5.0.3

I am working on a keynote project that is mostly videos on each slide. I would like the presentation to advance after the video ends.

right now when the video ends there is a long unpredictable pause????

I have looked around and it seems that this might be somthing that was an issue with earlier versions.

Does anyone know if the current version of keynote will auto advance to next slide and or advance to a slide #?

Thank You in advance

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.1)
  • Gary Scotland Level 6 (12,285 points)

only way I know to get this to work is to ender a delay slightly longer than the duration of the video

inspector > slide > transition > start:   automatically and set a delay

• haroldtmcwit Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks for the responce.

if I look at  inspector > slide > transition start: is set to automaticly and a delay of  0.

If i change this value to 122 sec to mactch video or 5 sec to test,,, there is no differance in the way the slide plays ????

If I change this on slides without video it works flawlessly?

this method has worked for me for many years, so Im not too sure whats wrong in your situation.

You are clicking on the Play button or option command P to play the presentation ?

from page 113 of the user manual:

Clicking Play Button.

Not sure either,, maybe it has somthing to do with the Build in?

Like I said works oin slides without video???

Driving me crazy...

• lesposen Level 1 (45 points)

If it continues to frustrate, why not make one long video combining all the shorter ones, and put it on one Keynote slide.

Use iMovie or Screenflow.

What do you think?

Les Posen

maybe it has somthing to do with the Build in?

I hope you meant to say effect?

A Build is a visual effect between objects on a single slide, set up using the Build inspector

A Transition is a visual effect between two slides, set up using the Transition inspector

You must use a Transition when using video on separate slides

Does the video play correctly in the slides without a transition?

Is the video file a Quicktime file?

Not Too sure ,,, The .mov file is in one "frame" of the slide and there are links to other slides in that section of the presentation.. The .mov frame is the first item in the "build in" sequence.

Let me add that this is my first time messing around with Keynote and I apologies for any dumb things i might say..

The presentation is interactive with user...So no good on making it all a movie..

What confuses me is what is making the slide eventually change to the next one???

The Transition is set to automatic and a delay of 0.... what is overiding that and allowing the movie to play at all? Like I said if I change the Transition to 10 sec the the 2 min movie will play in full anyway????

The .mov Video Plays correctly,,, It just sits with a long delay at the end. and there is no blank space at the end of the .mov files

The .mov frame is the first item in the "build in" sequence.

You must not use a build to bring in the video.

If you use Builds and Transitions to control video they will interfere with each other.

On the slides with video, deselect the Build settings to look like this:

with the Effect selected to None

Next set up transitions like this:

You must set up a transition if you want the video to automatically go to the next slide.

Select an effect such as Blinds, seen below or None so that the video appears straight away.

The effect duration is how long the effect lasts for 1 - 2 sec is enough

Transition should be Automatically.

The delay is the duration of the video in seconds ( if its shorter than the video duration it will stop early)

• rickburns Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks, Gary, for your thoughtful contribution covering the nuts and bolts of how to resolve auto slide advancements in Keynote when incorporating movie clips in some of the slides.

My concern is similar and involves a timed presentation I must give at an academic forum in which each presenter uses exactly 21 slides and each slide advances every 20 seconds. I am also using QuickTime clips in a few of my slides and have been having a tough time getting to inspector to work correctly in Keynote. Moreover, the format requires I save the presentation on a flash drive to use on the same computer and projector others will be sharing.

The organizer suggested our presentations be in either Keynote or PowerPoint. Since mine is pretty straightforward and really does not require many of the bells and whistles that each of these powerful programs offer, would it be safer to use PowerPoint? I was going to bring my iPad and use it, but I am creating the presentation on my PowerBook Pro, so getting those large movie clip files, etc. to the iPad may be a problem. In other words, is PowerPoint more cross-platform friendly and perhaps even a bit easier to use? I also do not have MS Office on my iPad, unlike my laptop.

I look forward to your response,

• PresentationMagic Level 1 (10 points)

I have seen such presentations which stipulate presentation parameters (much more strictly than TED's 18 minute limit) and always wonder for whom these limitations are desired, and what's to be gained? Especially in an academic setting, as you say.

You wrote: "In other words, is PowerPoint more cross-platform friendly and perhaps even a bit easier to use?"

Answers: in terms of the presentation setup as described, PPT is the more cross-platform friendly, at least until iWork in the Cloud is adopted in your setting as a viable platform. But if you're permitted to bring a Keynote file, then any advantage of PPT is rendered moot. It is definitely not easier to use, especially if you will be employing video.

Will you be advancing your slides manually each 20 second or is it to advance automatically or by a third party with an eye on the clock? In which case - and I may be wrong - PPT may give you more flexibility in terms of slide timing automation.

Do remember, for both KN and PPT, that if you deliver your file in a USB drive and you are using some esoteric fonts, the local laptop may not contain fonts, and will instead default to Helvetica or Arial or similar genericised font family. I have seen more than a few academic presentations fall over this way, and it also affects layout as well.

Les Posen

• johng1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi all,

I am using Keynote on the iPad. I realize that this thread is regarding key on the Mac. But this is exactly the problem I am having. I also have one main slide with 2 links to two video one in each slide. Ok, now my line going to the video slide. Great. I have removed both build-in and build-out set to none. I have transitions set to none. This is the only way to get the video to play. So, I have tried setting a transition for the video slide and I have tried setting the Transition to None. Either way the video plays. Great so far. But at the end of the video it just stops. It will not advance to the next slide nor will it link back to the slide I set in the interactive link section for the video slide. I set a "loop" presentation but the video slide just stops and will not advance.

Any thoughts are very welcome. I am pretty frustrated since I am so close in getting this project finished,

• johng1 Level 1 (0 points)

Oh, one other thing, if I tap on the slide with the video it will advance to the goto interactive link but I want this to be automatic.

I am basicly trying to create a DVD menu system that i can run on a DVD.

• Distearth Level 1 (5 points)

For Keynote for iPad. I made a tutorial for my school blog about setting videos to auto transition after any given time and for longer than 60 seconds. It has to do with what someone said about using shapes.

http://schoolipads.wordpress.com/2013/11/15/auto-play-transition-keynote-for-ipa d-video-slides-longer-than-60-seconds/