Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

trouble thethering with cell phone, spinning beach ball at disconnect

I use an LG Verizon handset to connect to the internet with my early 2009 Macbook Pro (running ML with 8GB of RAM) using the VZ Access manager software. I'm sure the trouble I'm having has to do with the Mac since I have no trouble at all connecting in the same way on my Windows 7 machine.

What happens frequently is that I will disconnect and my Mac will hang. I will get a spinning beach ball in the top menu bar where I would normally be able to click on the wifi, time, or battery icons.

When this happens, my fans are going like crazy as though I have a runaway process. But when I check Activity Monitor, nothing is happening. I've tried quitting everything in the list, including relaunching Finder, and nothing helps. All I can do is a hard reset of my machine. If I try to shut down or restart, I get to a grey screen that hangs until I force the reset with the power button (I've let the computer sit for hours like that).

Is there a better solution to my problem?

Thank you,

Rae

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), iWork '08 and iLife '09

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 10:16 AM

Do you unmount the phone? Perhaps the access manager software needs update. Speak to the developer.

2 replies

Jan 20, 2013 10:21 AM in response to sig

No, you do not unmount the phone, it's recognized as a USB device that I do not have to eject/unmount. I have the latest version of the software. I had this problem with two older versions when I was running Leopard and then Lion, too, so that's further making me believe the issue is on the Mac end.

(Verizon, helpful as they try to be, do not appear to have any techs who understand how their software works with Macs. 😟 I've spent a lot of time on the phone with them to no avail.)

One thing your response made me realise I haven't tried is to remove the cord from the USB port and see if that will force a disconnect. Sounds like a long shot, but it's something I haven't tried yet. Thanks!

Rae

trouble thethering with cell phone, spinning beach ball at disconnect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.