This just happened to my gf, so we used this thread as a solution. . . However we encountered a problem.
She wants to use iCloud to sync her phone and ipad. But her email for AppleID was set up on a past deleted email (Email A) so she went online on her phone and changed the email address to a current gmail account (Email B).
Next, she went to her gmail acct and verified for iCloud. She then turned on her iPad and it instantly connected to the iCloud with Email B AppleID .
However, now she has turned her phone back on and AppleID has changed to Email B, but she clicked iCloud and it pulled up Email A as sign in for AppleID. She hit cancel and then it just freezes in "verifying" under Email A.
Have any solutions??
If you have your old email address, then you can take these steps to make sure your iCloud is synced on both your iPhone and your other devices:
1. Make sure your old email address is your Apple ID. If it is not, change it from a device other than your iPhone.
2. Reset your password using your old email address.
3. Using your newly reset password, delete your iCloud information on your iPhone. Do this by going to Settings > iCloud > Delete Account.
4. Now, log into your Apple ID and change your Apple ID to your desired email address.
5. After you have verified your email address, go back to your iPhone and sign into your iCloud with the new information.