Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with GarageBand and WireTap

The more I've used GarageBand the more I recognize it for the exceptional product it is. I recently came upon a product that maybe some of you are using called WireTap. Can you tell me what WireTap does that GarageBand doesn't and/or where you would use WireTap, in other words, where it does a better job than GarageBand for specific things?

What I'm trying to figure out is why you would need both products and how they differ?

Thanks a lot,

Harry

GarageBand (Mac) '11, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 9:20 AM

19 replies

Jan 20, 2013 12:15 PM in response to Foodsman

WireTap Pro used to be a software with mainly one purpose: record the audio output of any software running on your Mac to an audio file (something that GB can't.) Now it's called WireTap Studio, and it's a full-fledged audio recorder and editor - still something very different from GB, since it doesn't have the whole midi side of things ("software instruments" in GB), i.e. you can't create music with it. And I'm reading on the website "Per-application recording is not yet available on MacOS X 10.7 or later. We're working on it!" - as I interpret this, WireTap doesn't do it's original job on Macs with the latest OS versions.

Bottom line - it's an audio editor, something you can get for free these days (Audacity, e.g.).

(I'm not using the software. So if there's someone that does and can confirm that I'm doing the program injustice - please come forward!)

Jan 21, 2013 9:41 AM in response to Foodsman

I was beta tester for WireTap Anywhere and know a little bit about the app.

WireTap from Ambrosia Software comes in two flavors, "WireTap Studio" and WireTap Anywhere". They are more like audio utility application like "Audio Hijack" (another great app) which provide features and functionality that are not available in OSX.

GarageBand is a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) like Logic and ProTools, a different kind of app.

I used WireTap Anywhere with Logic as a plugin (one of the first 64bit AU plugins available). You could route the audio output of any app (i.e.Safari, iTunes) directly into Logic and record it. Or tap the audio in and out of any connected hardware audio interface and route it to Logic to record a skype phone call for example. WireTap Studio has a few "DAW-like" features to record and edit audio but for specific purposes and is not an all around multitrack recorder/sequencer.

User uploaded file

GarageBand supports AU plugins so you could use it, but there is one catch. OSX Lion changed the underlying code that WireTap was based on. Starting with Lion, the OSX code imposed some major restrictions how applications can communicate with other applications "under the hood".

Until today the developers haven't figured out how to come up with a solution for that lock-down to provide the same pre-Lion functionality for WireTap. Too bad.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Jan 23, 2013 10:41 AM in response to Foodsman

One more question if I may,

I just went to the iTunes store and played a trailer of a song and recorded it in GarageBand. I then recorded that same song in WireTap Studios.

What I recorded in GarageBand was very tinny and flat sounding.

What I recorded in WireTap sounded deep and rich just as it does from iTunes.

Can you tell me why there is that kind of a difference?

Thanks again,

Harry

Jan 23, 2013 1:45 PM in response to Foodsman

OK, that explains it. I will however need something so I can record audio from other applications and then add it to GrageBand. My copy of WireTap Studio is a demo version and to purchase it is $69. In your opinion is WireTap Studio a good choice for recording off the Internet etc, or are there others you would recommend I look at?

Thanks so much for your help its been invaluable,

Harry

Jan 24, 2013 6:39 AM in response to Foodsman

Thanks guys, you're the best...

In a different post I asked where I can find the loops I made and was told; "Library/Audio/Apple Loops/User Loops". I cannot find "User Loops" and when I do a search for the name it does not show up in the search either!

The only loops I find are those that came with GarageBand. I've made over 1600 loops under "Rock/Blues/Vocals" and would sure like to know where they are so I can burn a disk so I don't lose them.

Thanks so much,

Harry

Jan 24, 2013 6:50 AM in response to Foodsman

Foodsman wrote:

Thanks guys, you're the best...

In a different post I asked where I can find the loops I made and was told; "Library/Audio/Apple Loops/User Loops".

the correct location is "~/Library..." in your Home directory:

http://www.bulletsandbones.com/GB/GBFAQ.html#myloopsstored

(Let the page FULLY load. The link to your answer is at the top of your screen)

Help with GarageBand and WireTap

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.