Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how long does time machine backup for over 500 gb take

I have a brand new external HD that holds 1TB. I'm trying to use time machine to back up about 550GB from my imac. It is saying that the eztimated time will be 255 days. This cannot be normal or correct. What if my computer crashes now?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 12:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2017 8:42 AM

im amazed that it takes the long to transfer all the crap from my iMac to 2 tb hard drive.

I bought a new 27 inch iMac 5k to replace my late 2012 21.5 iMac. it has a 1tb HDD and its used 747GB of it. so I thought it'll be few hours for the whole thing to be done, but no... after 24 hours, she's done 60GB only out of 767GB. ***>???? is there any faster way???

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2017 8:42 AM in response to CubanPapi

im amazed that it takes the long to transfer all the crap from my iMac to 2 tb hard drive.

I bought a new 27 inch iMac 5k to replace my late 2012 21.5 iMac. it has a 1tb HDD and its used 747GB of it. so I thought it'll be few hours for the whole thing to be done, but no... after 24 hours, she's done 60GB only out of 767GB. ***>???? is there any faster way???

Jan 21, 2013 7:42 AM in response to William Lloyd

I am a getting a similar problem, which in my case is not an estimate. Time Machine is really super SLOW. Time Machine told me that the backup needed to be rebulit. It is around 600GB. So I decided to start the new backup yesterday night at 11PM, assuming that overnight should be able to finish. After 12 Hours it only backed up 9GB!! It says that it will need another 22 DAYS !!!

I have OX Mountain Lion 10.8.2. I am backing up over WiFi g/n (in the same way I have been doing for the last 2 years). I have read in a cNET forum that after 10.7.5 version of MAC OSX Time Machine had problems with Spotlight, and that I needed to change something in Spotlight. Please advice what I need to do to signigicantly improve the performance of Time Machine.

Jan 21, 2013 7:48 AM in response to winquirer

winquirer wrote:

I have OX Mountain Lion 10.8.2. I am backing up over WiFi g/n (in the same way I have been doing for the last 2 years). I have read in a cNET forum that after 10.7.5 version of MAC OSX Time Machine had problems with Spotlight, and that I needed to change something in Spotlight. Please advice what I need to do to signigicantly improve the performance of Time Machine.

WiFi is the least reliable and slowest connection method you could have chosen, try another method, any othet method is faster.

how long does time machine backup for over 500 gb take

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.