Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I delete patition on my Mac?

I had two partitions and one is Apple startup and the other one was Microsoft windows. However, during an update, wome how windows stopped working and I delete it using "disc utility application" But now I can not reach to that partition! It looks like it is empty and I am resizing my Apple partition using the whole hard disc but it does not finalize the operation and give failure message.

Is there any recommendation? I do not need this partition anymore and I want to use the whole disc as one and only Apple Mountain line installed.

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 1:53 PM

7 replies

Jan 20, 2013 8:59 PM in response to cosmosist

Apple trying to make up for sloppy utilities with documentation telling people to use Boot Camp Assistant for such operations is a bad UX. Disk Utility, for all practical purposes, should refuse to allow any partition modifications at all for "Boot Camped" disks, except for complete annhilation of all data/partitions on the disk.

Anyway, the original poster's problems can almost certainly, and rather easily solved, by using command line programs to remove the Boot Camp partition and resize the OS X volume to recapture the former space used by Windows. But some information is needed first. What is the information returned from the following two commands, entered into the Terminal application?

diskutil list

diskutil resizevolume disk0s2 limits

Jan 21, 2013 12:47 AM in response to Christopher Murphy

Unfortunately I am not that professional using command line especially if I do not have the dvd on hand. Therefore I do not know what will be the returns for that.

I backed it up on my external hard disk which is formatted as Time Machine or in another words, Startup disk. So I think formatting is the way to get the solution.

I knew that I should use Bootcamp instead of Disk utility application but, somehow I did it.

Thank you guys for your support. I really like Apple community, I am extremely happy with all my Apple products.

Aug 13, 2014 9:56 PM in response to Csound1

I know it's a bit of an old thread, but I have the same problem, except I did use Boot Camp Assistant to remove the Windows partition and it failed. I tried to do it again and BCA stopped responding and I had to force quit it. Now it no longer give the option to remove/restore but only to install Windows. However when I open Disk Utility i can see that my Boot Camp partition is still there, only now it's empty and I can't resize. I've attempted to resize the OSX partition, but to no avail. I get an error message every time, as expected. Kinda stuck here.

How can I delete patition on my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.