Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Self-formatting document for left/right pages

I have been working really hard getting this to work in Adobe InDesign and must declare failure, so I was wondering if Pages would be an appropriate alternative programme to achieve what I want to do below.

Here we go:

I want to create training documents which have different left and right pages, with the option to add remove and shuffle pages depending on the course on the day, with all titles and graphics correctly aligned to left or right page format.

So I created Master pages in InDesign for the left and right pages which have both graphic elements and page numbers, but also text placeholders with different positions depending if it is on the left or right and different text alignments. The Masters use specific paragraph styles for a number of text boxes which look different depending if they are on the left or right page.

Essentially this doesn't work for reasons that are too detailed on a Pages forum. I can make it work once, but the minute I add/remove or shuffle pages around, it doesn't update automatically and I lose the will to live!

Could Pages help? If Yes, how? Are there examples of existing documents I could look at?

Thanks!

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.3), i7 - 4/240

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 2:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 3:53 PM

Pages does have "Different left and right pages" but they are principally for different headers and footers.

Pages also has Layout mode where the pages are completely individual, and can be dragged from one location to another. The pages can be linked from textboxes on one page to another,.

In Layout mode you can have a master page which has the necessary layout and appearance that you require for left or right pages, but once created they will not intelligently change form one to the other, according to whether they are left or right.

Peter

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2013 3:53 PM in response to Moscool

Pages does have "Different left and right pages" but they are principally for different headers and footers.

Pages also has Layout mode where the pages are completely individual, and can be dragged from one location to another. The pages can be linked from textboxes on one page to another,.

In Layout mode you can have a master page which has the necessary layout and appearance that you require for left or right pages, but once created they will not intelligently change form one to the other, according to whether they are left or right.

Peter

Jan 20, 2013 5:31 PM in response to Moscool

Not really.

Indesign has a full on master pages implementation, which works retrospectively on any layouts built with them.

Pages' Layout mode is really just a crippled version of the Word Processing mode for those who found its linkages confusing. Each page in Layout mode is created from an internal single page template, that is not retrospective. ie if you change the page template, known as a Section, it has no effect on the already used pages in the document.

Pages can be simpler to use for neophytes to DTP and WP if they largely restrict themselves to the supplied excellent templates. When they attempt to go beyond that, Pages can be quite clumsy and arcane in its operation, particularly in its schizophrenic Word Processing/Layout modes and the way the Layout/Sections are created and applied.

I've been using Pages for years and I still have to consult notes, and really concentrate to use these, not always successfully.

Peter

Jan 21, 2013 3:57 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Hi Peter,

Thank you for directing me towards trying Facing Pages in a Layout mode document. It reminded me of what I used to do...

Once Upon a Time (Long, Long Ago, in the Olden Days) I used Word for Mac and MacDraw. Those apps had two different approaches to creating a document.

Word (it had only word processor mode) worked as a roll of paper. You typed, and the roll of paper unwound. As the length of the text grew, a new page appeared automatically.

MacDraw worked with Layout mode: drawing objects and text boxes that you could type into, resize, and move around the drawing canvas. If you needed a new page, you inserted a new page (by increasing the document size).

It seems that Pages has combined these two approaches. Therefore we must decide at the start which approach (word processing or layout) best suits our aim, and also which approach best suits our way of thinking.

Ian.

Self-formatting document for left/right pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.