Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect the Uverse Easy Remote app thru my AEBS?

This is more of an AT&T 2Wire Modem/Router question.

I currently use the latest AEBS as my primary router. While I have the 2Wire Modem/Router for AT&T's Uverse television and Internet, I have disabled its WiFi and forwarded the Public IP address to the WAN port on the AEBS. In trying to setup and use AT&T's new Easy Remote app on my iPhone (and iPad), they specifically ask that you setup the AT&T 2Wire Modem/Router as the primary router in order for the Uverse cable box to "see" the Easy Remote app.

I prefer to keep the AEBS as the primary router because of features such as BTMM. Currently my iPhone (and iPad) can control my Panasonic GT50 thru the AirPort network. The only device connected via Ethernet to the 2Wire Modem/Router is the Uverse cable box (this is required because if I connect the Uverse cable box to the AEBS, the extra hop in communication causes issues with recording shows to the DVR hard drive).

1. While I'm familiar with the various screens within the 2Wire's configuration, is there a setting or configuration I can enable that would resolve this?

2. If all the products on the AirPort network are receiving private IPs within 10.0.1.x and the cable box is most likely getting a default private IP of 192.168.1.x from the 2Wire Modem/Router, is it possible for products to communicate to each other across IP pools?

3. If not, are there any other configurations that may work?

Thank you in advance.

iPhone 5, iOS 6, 32GB, Black

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 7:06 PM

1 reply

Jan 1, 2014 3:10 PM in response to Kalob

Kalob, I was able to get this working. This is how to get it to work but it requires a mac running OS X Lion or greater with two network interfaces, wired or wireless.

Connect the wan port on your AEBS to a port on your Uverse RG.

Setup for AEBS:

Internet

Connect [using DHCP]

Network

Router Mode [Using DHCP]

DHCP address range 192.168...

Setup for RG gateway:

Gateway/DHCP

set DHCP address range to 172.16.0.0

Firewall/Applications, Pinholes DMZ

set AEBS to DMZplus mode

LAN/IP Address Allocation

AEBS device:

Firewall [disabled]

Address assignment [public (select WAN IP Mapping)]

WAN IP Mapping [Router WAN IP Address]

Cascaded Router: No

Now you should have two subnets where your DVR is connected to the RG Gateway with a 172.16.x.x address and the rest of your devices are connected to your AEBS such as an iphone or ipad and has a 192.168.x.x. address.

The UVese EZ remote ios app uses UPnP or more accurately SSDP for discovery of the uverse DVR. So you need a way for the IOS device on the 192.168 subnet to bridge to the 172.16 subnet for the SSDP multicast; and once the DVR is discovered a router to route from 192.168 subnet to/from the 172.16 subnet.

This is how I did it. I have a Mac Pro with two wired ethernet interfaces. I connected one to the AEBS to get on the 192.168 subnet and connected the other interface to the UVERSE RG to get on the 172.16 subnet. Then I setup a bridge as follows (using Terminal):

sudo ifconfig bridge0 create // this creates a bridge

sudo ifconfig bridge0 up addm en0 adm en1 // this adds the bridge network interfaces

sudo sysctl -w net.link.ether.inet.proxyall=1 // this allows multicast to cross the bridge for ARP and SSDP

sudo sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1 // this cause the bridge to act as a router to route between subnets.

Now I am able to run my IOS UVerse EZ Remote app on my iPad connected to my AEBS and it is able to discover and communicate with the DVR on my Uverse RG.

Best wishes to you.

How to connect the Uverse Easy Remote app thru my AEBS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.