Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV remote too "strong"

My AppleTV is in the same room as my iMac. When the Apple TV remote is used, the remote also controls iTunes on the iMac. For example, hitting play on the Apple TV also starts a song in iTunes.

Under preferences in iTunes it says 'iTunes is not paired with any remotes' and the 'Forget All Remotes' box is greyed out. I also checked the settings in my Apple TV and I see nothing there other than to pair (and unpair) the Apple TV remote.

Any ideas??

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 6:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 11:28 PM

You have to make the change on your mac not the Apple TV

• Launch System Preferences
  • Click on the “Security” control panel
  • Click on the lock icon in the lower left corner and enter your Admin password
  • Select Advanced
  • Select the checkbox next to “Disable remote control infrared receiver”
  • Close System Preferences
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2013 11:28 PM in response to MichiganDAN

You have to make the change on your mac not the Apple TV

• Launch System Preferences
  • Click on the “Security” control panel
  • Click on the lock icon in the lower left corner and enter your Admin password
  • Select Advanced
  • Select the checkbox next to “Disable remote control infrared receiver”
  • Close System Preferences

Aug 18, 2014 5:44 PM in response to Steve Taylor1

I've had this problem for the past few months. I'm on an early 2009 iMac and a third generation ATV, running Mavericks since a few months ago. I can't remember whether this started happening before I upgraded to Mavericks, but I think it did.

The solution above did stop the ATV remote from opening iTunes if it's closed, which lets me use the ATV in peace after I close iTunes. That's great, but I like to listen to tunes using the Remote app in the bedroom while I get going in the morning, so I'd prefer to leave iTunes running so I don't have to remember to start it back up before I go to bed.

However, no combination or sequence of pairing, unpairing, and turning the iMac's IR receiver on or off stops the ATV from controlling iTunes. And, in case it matters, the iMac remote continues to control both the iMac and the ATV. It seems that the IR receiver is working, so I don't see a hardware glitch.

So, considering that the ordinary solution didn't work, does anyone have another way to stop the ATV from controlling iTunes while I'm using the ATV?

Apple TV remote too "strong"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.