Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I've made a movie from video in iMovie. it is 2.19G. How do I reduce its size to 2G?

I've made a movie from video in iMovie. it is 2.19G. How do I reduce its size to 2G?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1), iPad 2;

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 4:05 AM

4 replies

Jan 21, 2013 6:47 AM in response to Klaus1

It is a movie of a teaching session as part of a teacher certification process. The instructions say to use handbrake to reduce size to 2G and upload to their Dropbox. Use handbrake to reduce size. Handbrake recognizes the file as a source but I don't know how to use the code to reduce it. I am a novice at sharing video/ movie this way

Jan 21, 2013 7:27 AM in response to Myrte Veach

file-size is determined by codec, bit-rate, frame-rate, resolution (and audio settings)

depending on what settings you're actually using ( ? ) , you have to vary these.

easiest way is using a lower bit-rate:

share/export using quicktime/quicktime/options/compression:

User uploaded file

what bit-rate depends on the other factors mentioned above .........

Jan 21, 2013 7:31 AM in response to Myrte Veach

There are several ways to reduce the size using iMovie

1) Make a shorter movie ( I assume that is not an option in your case!)

2) Share in a smaller size. For example Share in 1280x720 instead of 1920x1080.

3) You can adjust the compression settings by using SHARE/ EXPORT USING QUICKTIME...

Choose h.264 as your codec. You can put a maximum bitrate. Depending on the size of your movie, try 12,000 kbps, 10,000 kbps, or 8,000 kbps until you get the size you want at an acceptable quality.

If none of those get you there, tell us more about your original media and the settings you are trying.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.