Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB 3.0 Problem

Hello all,

I have a Problem with my USB 3.0 Ports. I had an USB 2.0 external Harddrive which i used on my MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012, but i needed a new one, so i bought a Western Digital MyPassport 1TB with USB 3.0. I also installed Tuxera NTFS because i bought the WD MyPassport in NTFS due to the fact that i use it on Mac aswell as on Windows. Now i read on the Apple Support page this:

How do I get the best performance from the USB 3 ports?

The first device you plug in will configure the port, so always connect USB 3 capable hubs or devices first.

What happens if I plug in a USB 2 device into the USB 3 port first?

If you plug in a USB 2 hub first, all devices connected or "daisy-chained" to that hub will operate up to the maximum transfer rate of USB 2 speed (480 Mbps).

I get now with my USB 3.0 MyPassport just write and read spead of an USB 2.0 device. (write/read +- 35 MB/s). I already tried my MyPassport on an Windows 8 PC with USB 3.0 and there I gets speed of +- 85 MB/s read and 65 MB/s write. This is a huge diffrence.

I already tried to reset the USB 3.0 Ports with "Command-Option-P-R", but this also didn't solve the problem.

A friend of mine has the same problem with an older MyPassport 500 GB USB 3.0.

Does anyone has another idea what i could try to get USB 3.0 Speed on my MacBook Pro?

PS: I also installed the WD Turbo Drivers for Mac.

PPS: I tested the Write and Read speed on my mac with xBench, Aja System Test and Blackmagic Disk Speed Test. All three gave nearly the same speed.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 4:35 AM

4 replies

USB 3.0 Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.