Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store: says You cannot update this software since you have not owned the major version of this software - when it came with the computer!!

Bought Apple iMac about 3-4 months ago and ever since I have had it I have not been able to update the Apple applications, i.e. pages, iphoto, keywords, numbers etc etc

When I go to the app store to update them it says "To update this application, sign in to the account you used to purchase it." which I do several times and then it says

"You cannot update this software since you have not owned the major version of this software"

What the ****! It came with the computer so have never needed/had the major version, how do I get them to update without removing the receipt file and downloading it manually every time?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 8:36 AM

15 replies

Jan 21, 2013 8:39 AM in response to fitzjewels

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

First, see > http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4236?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

If that doesn't work, open App Store > Featured > Account (under Quick Links) > Show hidden purchases, and show all the applications you can't update, so you will be able to update them.

If you can't, did you buy a second-hand Mac? If not, contact with App Store support > http://www.apple.com/support/mac/app-store/contact

Jan 21, 2013 8:42 AM in response to fitzjewels

If this doesn't reflect your situation you can ignore this post.

I'm not optimistic this'll work, but it might. It worked for me when I had a similar problem. For some reason I had added my Macintosh HD to the 'exclude' settings in Time Machine. Deleting it from there and letting Spotlight re-index the HD solved it for me.

System Preferences>Time Machine>Options button and make sure your HD isn't listed. If it is delete it using the '-' button, let Spotlight do its thing and then try Software Update.

Jan 22, 2013 3:35 AM in response to fitzjewels

The Apps you are asking about are Not included with any Mac computer. They are iWorks Apps and you had to install them from an iWorks DVD. So more then likely you used an older version of iWorks which are not upgradable to the newest versions being offered on the Mac App Store. To get the newest versions you will need to buy the newer version from the Mac App Store.

Feb 27, 2013 6:42 PM in response to fitzjewels

fitzjewels wrote:

Bought Apple iMac about 3-4 months ago and ever since I have had it I have not been able to update the Apple applications, i.e. pages, iphoto, keywords, numbers etc etc

What the ****! It came with the computer so have never needed/had the major version, how do I get them to update without removing the receipt file and downloading it manually every time?

If those softwares were ordered with a brand new machine and preinstalled from Apple, it's possible something got messed up with associating those paid for programs with your AppleID.

This issue will have to be resolved with Apple.

If the software was installed by someone else for you, it's possible you got ripped off or they didn't know it's all copy protected and installed their copies of the software.

If you bought the machine "open box" or supposedly new from a third party reseller, it's possible they installed the software without realizing it's copy protected.

If you have reciepts and proof of purchase for purchasing those programs, then it's no problem getting Apple to get you redownload versions compatible with your AppleID.

It's also possible you forget your AppleID and password, or it's been changed and thus isn't working as before.

Mar 3, 2013 11:59 PM in response to fitzjewels

did you get this resolved? I had the same problem, continually putting in my apple id to update iPhoto and receiving the same error message. I believe my issue centered around my computer (and iCloud) were set up with my @me.com id but with the shift from mobile me to iCloud, my apple id is also pinned to the @mac.com. Both @me and @mac show under my apple id but only the @mac works with the updates.

Anyway, I was able to finally update:

Go to the App Store, Store, Purchases. There it showed Garage Band and iMovie as purchased/updated but iPhoto waiting for update. I clicked on update, my current @mac apple id appeared w a password request. I entered the password and the update executed.

Mar 19, 2013 8:48 AM in response to fitzjewels

I opened up the App Store and went to "Purchases" at the top (I had to sign in to my account). Then there were 3 apps (GarageBand, iMovie and iPhoto) that were not under Purchases, but something like they needed to be verified to a code had to be downloaded. Click on that, then it should put those apps into your purchases, and then you can update them. Confusing, but does that make sense?

May 28, 2013 6:20 AM in response to ssls6

nice one this fixed all my apps updating.

Was not ID, spotlight, or hidden apps.

thank you!

ssls6 wrote:

I had a similiar problem that I fixed doing this:

Close Mac App Store

Go into this folder

/Library/Application Support/App Store

Drag this file to the desktop

adoption.plist

Repen Mac App Store and log in

If it fixes your problem, great, if not, you can move the old adoption.plist file back

App Store: says You cannot update this software since you have not owned the major version of this software - when it came with the computer!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.