Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anyone successfully gotten Endnote X5 to work with Word 2011 on OS 10.7.5?

I just get the error in Word that Word can't fire the event. The Endnote toolbar does not show up in Word.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 8GB RAM

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 10:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 9:35 AM

Endnote sys that X5 is not compatible with Mountain Lion due to a "bug" in the OS and suggests buying their "new" Endnote X6. They also offered two workarounds so far that have not worked saying that it is Apples responsibility to fix this "bug". Their support replied to me as follows:

Thank you for contacting Thomson Reuters Technical Support.

EndNote X5 is not officially compatible with Mac 10.8. The issue that you face is due to a known bug in Mac 10.8.2 update for Apple's Mountain Lion operating system.

If you would like to read a technical description of this underlying bug within Apple's 10.8.2 operating system update, the following blog post outlines the issue:

http://brian-webster.tumblr.com/post/32830692042/a-workaround-for-aesendmessage- hanging-on-os-x-10-8-2

For more information on EndNote’ compatibility please refer to the following link:

http://help.thomson.com/default.asp?portalid=TSCINT&article=113230

In order to work around this issue until the underlying problem is addressed by Apple, please follow the steps given below:

1. Open your Activity Monitor. Activity Monitor is found inside a folder called "Utilities", which is inside your "Applications" folder.

2. With the Activity Monitor running, choose "All Processes" from the "Show" drop-down and then sort the display by the "Process Name" column by clicking the column's label.

3. After sorting this list by Process Name, look for a process called 'appleeventsd'. If you are able to find the appleeventsd process, highlight this entry and click "Quit Process".

4. When you are prompted to confirm this action, press "Force Quit".

5. Once appleeventsd has been reset by the Force Quit selection, switch back to EndNote to see if you're still experiencing slowness.

6. Also try inserting citations in Word and see if you are getting any error message.

As you mentioned, EndNote X6.0.2 update was released to address this issue. Since you have EndNote X5 you will not be able to install this patch for a permanent fix on this. And since you already own a previous version of EndNote, you will be entitled for an upgrade version of EndNote X6. These upgrade versions are priced lesser than the full versions. For EndNote X4 and X5 users, they will be entitled for a 30% discount on this upgrade price considering this bug. If you wish to avail this offer, please visit:http://endnote.com/buy/online and use the coupon code: techup.

Please visit the following Knowledge Base article for more information:

http://help.thomson.com/default.asp?portalid=TSC&article=123873

If you wish to use EndNote X5 and if the tools are still missing in Word, please make sure that the Visual basic component for Microsoft Word 2011 is installed. Visual Basic is required for the use of EndNote X5 with Word 2011. If it is not installed, run a custom installation of Office 2011, selecting Visual Basic for Applications. This component of Office is mandatory for Cite While You Write tools to work.

If the issue continues, it possible that the issue can happen if the Word documents Gallery is set to open. Please check to make sure this option is not checked in Word.

1) In Word, go to the Word menu / Preferences / General.

2) Uncheck the option labeled Open Word Documents Gallery when application opens.

3) Press OK.

4) Quit Word by going to Word menu / Quit Word.

5) Open EndNote with your library.

6) Open Word.

This will get the EndNote toolbar appearing in Word. If the issue continues, it is possible that the EndNote Cite While You Write add-ins might be disabled in Word. Please follow the below steps to re-enable the tools as follows:

a. Open a Word document.

b. Go to "Tools > Templates and Add-Ins".

c. You should see the below EndNote files listed under "Global Templates and Add-ins"

EndNote CWYW Commands.dot

EndNote CWYW Word 2011.bundle

d. If any of these file(s) are unchecked, check it, and click OK.

If the above files are not listed in "Global Templates and Add-ins", then I would recommend you to follow the steps given to check the Word Startup folder and set that in the Customizer:

1. In Word, click the Word menu next to the apple and choose Preferences.

2. Click File Locations.

3. Click on Startup and then click Modify.

4. Browse to Applications---Microsoft Office 2011---Office---Startup---Word. Click Choose. (Please note: For non English version of Word, the name of the Startup folder may be different. Please choose your closest language equivalent in this location).

5. Click OK on the Preferences window.

6. Close Word.

7. Open EndNote and your library.

8. Click on the EndNote menu next to the apple.

9. Choose Customizer.

10. Check the option for Cite While You Write. Click Next.

11. Click Next and the process should complete----click “Done”.

If the tools are still not present in the Tools menu of Word, please close Word then copy and paste the EndNote CWYW Word 2011.bundle file into your Word startup folder:

Bundle file: Applications | EndNote X5 | Cite While You Write | EndNote CWYW Word 2011.bundle

Word startup folder: Applications | Microsoft Office 2011 | Office | Startup | Word

Close and reopen Word. Please check whether the EndNote tools appear in Word and that you are able to click on them.

Once again I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused. Please check if this helps in resolving your issue and kindly let me know if you need any further assistance.

Based on the solution provided above, this case will be closed and no further action is required on your part. However, if this does not resolve your issue, please reply to this email and your case will be immediately reopened for additional support.

Sincerely,

Hema

Hema Vetrivel

Product Support Analyst

Thomson Reuters

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2013 9:35 AM in response to Barry Lee Reynolds

Endnote sys that X5 is not compatible with Mountain Lion due to a "bug" in the OS and suggests buying their "new" Endnote X6. They also offered two workarounds so far that have not worked saying that it is Apples responsibility to fix this "bug". Their support replied to me as follows:

Thank you for contacting Thomson Reuters Technical Support.

EndNote X5 is not officially compatible with Mac 10.8. The issue that you face is due to a known bug in Mac 10.8.2 update for Apple's Mountain Lion operating system.

If you would like to read a technical description of this underlying bug within Apple's 10.8.2 operating system update, the following blog post outlines the issue:

http://brian-webster.tumblr.com/post/32830692042/a-workaround-for-aesendmessage- hanging-on-os-x-10-8-2

For more information on EndNote’ compatibility please refer to the following link:

http://help.thomson.com/default.asp?portalid=TSCINT&article=113230

In order to work around this issue until the underlying problem is addressed by Apple, please follow the steps given below:

1. Open your Activity Monitor. Activity Monitor is found inside a folder called "Utilities", which is inside your "Applications" folder.

2. With the Activity Monitor running, choose "All Processes" from the "Show" drop-down and then sort the display by the "Process Name" column by clicking the column's label.

3. After sorting this list by Process Name, look for a process called 'appleeventsd'. If you are able to find the appleeventsd process, highlight this entry and click "Quit Process".

4. When you are prompted to confirm this action, press "Force Quit".

5. Once appleeventsd has been reset by the Force Quit selection, switch back to EndNote to see if you're still experiencing slowness.

6. Also try inserting citations in Word and see if you are getting any error message.

As you mentioned, EndNote X6.0.2 update was released to address this issue. Since you have EndNote X5 you will not be able to install this patch for a permanent fix on this. And since you already own a previous version of EndNote, you will be entitled for an upgrade version of EndNote X6. These upgrade versions are priced lesser than the full versions. For EndNote X4 and X5 users, they will be entitled for a 30% discount on this upgrade price considering this bug. If you wish to avail this offer, please visit:http://endnote.com/buy/online and use the coupon code: techup.

Please visit the following Knowledge Base article for more information:

http://help.thomson.com/default.asp?portalid=TSC&article=123873

If you wish to use EndNote X5 and if the tools are still missing in Word, please make sure that the Visual basic component for Microsoft Word 2011 is installed. Visual Basic is required for the use of EndNote X5 with Word 2011. If it is not installed, run a custom installation of Office 2011, selecting Visual Basic for Applications. This component of Office is mandatory for Cite While You Write tools to work.

If the issue continues, it possible that the issue can happen if the Word documents Gallery is set to open. Please check to make sure this option is not checked in Word.

1) In Word, go to the Word menu / Preferences / General.

2) Uncheck the option labeled Open Word Documents Gallery when application opens.

3) Press OK.

4) Quit Word by going to Word menu / Quit Word.

5) Open EndNote with your library.

6) Open Word.

This will get the EndNote toolbar appearing in Word. If the issue continues, it is possible that the EndNote Cite While You Write add-ins might be disabled in Word. Please follow the below steps to re-enable the tools as follows:

a. Open a Word document.

b. Go to "Tools > Templates and Add-Ins".

c. You should see the below EndNote files listed under "Global Templates and Add-ins"

EndNote CWYW Commands.dot

EndNote CWYW Word 2011.bundle

d. If any of these file(s) are unchecked, check it, and click OK.

If the above files are not listed in "Global Templates and Add-ins", then I would recommend you to follow the steps given to check the Word Startup folder and set that in the Customizer:

1. In Word, click the Word menu next to the apple and choose Preferences.

2. Click File Locations.

3. Click on Startup and then click Modify.

4. Browse to Applications---Microsoft Office 2011---Office---Startup---Word. Click Choose. (Please note: For non English version of Word, the name of the Startup folder may be different. Please choose your closest language equivalent in this location).

5. Click OK on the Preferences window.

6. Close Word.

7. Open EndNote and your library.

8. Click on the EndNote menu next to the apple.

9. Choose Customizer.

10. Check the option for Cite While You Write. Click Next.

11. Click Next and the process should complete----click “Done”.

If the tools are still not present in the Tools menu of Word, please close Word then copy and paste the EndNote CWYW Word 2011.bundle file into your Word startup folder:

Bundle file: Applications | EndNote X5 | Cite While You Write | EndNote CWYW Word 2011.bundle

Word startup folder: Applications | Microsoft Office 2011 | Office | Startup | Word

Close and reopen Word. Please check whether the EndNote tools appear in Word and that you are able to click on them.

Once again I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused. Please check if this helps in resolving your issue and kindly let me know if you need any further assistance.

Based on the solution provided above, this case will be closed and no further action is required on your part. However, if this does not resolve your issue, please reply to this email and your case will be immediately reopened for additional support.

Sincerely,

Hema

Hema Vetrivel

Product Support Analyst

Thomson Reuters

Mar 5, 2013 10:29 PM in response to Barry Lee Reynolds

Barry Lee Reynolds wrote:

I just get the error in Word that Word can't fire the event. The Endnote toolbar does not show up in Word.

In Word, View menu, select Toolbars. Does Endnote X5 show in the pop-out submenu? If it's not there, it might be that the CWYW plugin was not installed.

Endnote X5 with Microsoft Word 2011 on OS 10.7.4 works fine for me.

If you're still looking for a solution, try posting on the Endnote User Forum.

HTH

Mar 10, 2013 4:13 AM in response to RobinUAlberta

RobinUAlberta,

I finally got EndNote X5 to work by uninstalling Microsoft Office and EndNote X5 and reinstalling both programs/packages. I later found out that the problem was due to my not installing the Basic Coding or something similar when installing MS Word. I'm using OS 10.7.5. My university bought EndNote X6 a few months back but I dare not install it until after my dissertation is finished and my PhD degree is awarded. ha!

I also found out that later installing BASIC will not fix the problem. If you install EndNote X5 without the BASIC component installed, the only way to get it to work is to unstall both MS Word and X5 and then reinstall the two programs. I tried every which way under the moon to get it to work witout uninstalling but it would not work.

Now it is working but the problem I am having now is the extremely extremely slow citation insertions. I have searched on line and others are complaining about this as well. Basically, Thomson (EndNote) says this is a known problem and there isn't anything that can be done to fix it except to upgrade. I don't date to update my OS or EndNote till I graduate. I have graduation fear now. haha

May 18, 2013 2:32 AM in response to Stat_Sir

Endnote support is not very helpful. I got Endnote X5 to work with Word 2011 running on Mac OS 10.7.5.

The manner in which I finally got Endnote X5 to work for me was to reinstall Word entirely and do a full install. This will make sure that all the components that Endnote needs are installed. Then reinstall Endnote X5. You can keep your Endnote database without losing all your work you've done with it and still re-install.

This will get rid of all the errors and make everything work.

I'm not sure why you need the "EndNote CWYW Commands.dot" because you really need "EndNote CWYW Word 2011.bundle" to get Endnote to communicate with Word.

Let me know if you are stil having problems. This is something that drove me crazy for several weeks until I got it worked out. A fresh install of both was finally the solution instead of just moving files back and forth.

Has anyone successfully gotten Endnote X5 to work with Word 2011 on OS 10.7.5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.