Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid 2010 Macbook Causing Burns

Perhaps someone here can help me out, because I have no idea what else to do. I have had my computer in for repair at an applestore twice and it has been sent off to a repair center. All of these places have said that my laptop is functioning normally, with the exception of the first instance where the hard drive was showing signs of failing and was replaced. There are two reasons for repair, and the first was that the computer would go into sleep mode or shut down, which it no longer does after the hard drive was replaced. The second is that it is hot enough to burn me, and some other things I set it on (lifted the varnish off a dining room table). The heat starts by where the charger plugs into the computer, and spreads throughout. Here's a quick picture of the scars on my leg. Note that I do have cloth between the skin and computer, but when my skin touches it, I feel it and place it elsewhere.
User uploaded file
Please keep in mind that this is with diagnostic tests running the CPU and other components at 100% according to everyone I have talked to. However, the last time they
said that I also saw last year's Grammy awards and Jimmy Kimmel (among other late-night hosts) in my safari history. The second time I went to pick up my computer, I wanted to see if I could get any slightly different results. I put up Guild Wars 2 with Skype and mail running in the background for literally 30 minutes, got the tech to come out and he stated that it was hotter than he'd ever managed to get it despite the tests. I realize that is anecdotal, but it's the kind of thing that sticks with you when said.
I also just got a call from the repair center today, and was told that they could not replicate the issue. Under all of their tests they said that it was running at 43 degrees Celsius, and there was nothing they could do unless it reached 50. Considering that according to this: (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15353932) anything above that poses a risk for burn injury, I am concerned. Is this actually normal? Can I do nothing to resolve this situation? Did I really waste money on a computer I can barely use? I spent $2,400 on this computer and 3 year applecare, and while it has been wonderful in two circumstances (Board replacement, HDD replacement), it seems to fall flat here. If I can't use a computer without risk of personal injury, then I can hardly use it.

Thank you for your time.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 10:37 AM

8 replies

Jan 21, 2013 10:41 AM in response to Mr Metallicious

well if your still covered by apple care i would deffinitly take it in, another option is to buy a cooler fan or something so that you don't burn yourself. I have never has this happen to me but i have had my Macbook Pro get very hot while using.

Sorry I can't give a quick fix solution but this is proably you best option.

And if your out of apple care, say you want to speak to the manager of the store and tell them exactly what has happened and what you have gone through.

Joseph

Jan 21, 2013 11:30 AM in response to JoeMorton

@JoeMorton
I bought an external fan, but it doesn't do much if anything at all. Perhaps it is the quality of the fan, but in either case it would be like trying to cool down a stove by blowing on it. As I understand it, the fan works because it functions as the heat sink by drawing in all of it and continually having lower temperature air pass over it. This transfers the heat to the air and away from the system. From the outside, all it would do is slightly cool the chassis, since these don't have vents on the bottom. I've also been in 2 different apple stores across 5 different trips and have spoken to employees and managers many times.

Jan 21, 2013 11:48 AM in response to Mr Metallicious

Directly taken from old MBP User Manual:

Do not leave the bottom of your MacBook Pro in contact with your lap or any surface

of your body for extended periods. Prolonged contact with your body could cause

discomfort and potentially a burn.

The bottom of the MacBook Pro case functions as a cooling surface that transfers heat

from inside the computer to the cooler air outside. The bottom of the case is raised

slightly to allow airflow that keeps the unit within normal operating temperatures.

In addition, warm air is vented from the slots in the back of the case.

Solution: Don't use the MBP on your lap!

Jan 21, 2013 12:03 PM in response to cbs20

@ CT
I do, the scars are a result of multiple small burns.

@cbs20
"The bottom of your MacBook Pro may become very warm during normal use. If your

MacBook Pro is on your lap and gets uncomfortably warm, move it to a stable work

surface."

I do, this is a result of it being uncomfortably warm before being able to move it to a hard surface. I have used it on hard surfaces whenever possible, hence the lifted varnish. I'll go take a picture quickly.

Mid 2010 Macbook Causing Burns

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.