Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Color Correction and Gamma Issue

I am about to start color correction on a recent project using a properly calibrated monitor. However, I have been reading that their is a long running issue in that Quicktime displays it's Gamma at 1.8 not 2.2. And how that relates to me is that Final Cut Pro X runs off of Quicktime files. Is it true that even if I am using a properly calibrated monitor, because FCPX runs from these Quicktime files with the gamma issue, the colors still will not be true when displayed on the monitor?

Final Cut Pro X

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 11:42 AM

5 replies

Jan 21, 2013 5:01 PM in response to PuffyAnderson

Are you comparing the Viewer display with the original display in the Compressor preview or the output preview?

You can color correct on a broadcast monitor, or you can color correct as best you can on your computer. To be honest it's all pretty much up the air and of little practical importance unless you are doing color correction to maintain broadcast specifications, then you need a properly calibrated monitor. Even then, aside from maintaining technical specs, color rendition is pretty much a joke. People have difference color and luminance perception. They'll be viewing on different devices under different lighting conditions. You simply can't color correct for everybody, and the gamma shift in QuickTime is least of the variables involved.

Color Correction and Gamma Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.