Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to delete photo library from ipad

few of the photos copied to ipad need to be removed / deleted from it. I dont mean the "camera roll"..but couple of other albums. please advise / suugest ways ///thanks in advance..

iPad 2, iOS 6.0.2, couple of albums in ipad (not camer

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 10:43 AM

30 replies

Jan 21, 2013 10:49 AM in response to engeekay2003

You remove them the same way that you put them on the iPad to begin with. You must do this in iTunes.

Photos that were synced from your computer using iTunes can only be deleted by de-selecting them from the folder from where they were synced - and then re-syncing.

Uncheck the albums that you want to remove - in the Photos Tab of iTunes - with the iPad connected to your computer and with the iPad selected on the left sidebar under the devices heading - and then click on Apply in the lower right corner to remove them.

Jan 21, 2013 11:43 AM in response to engeekay2003

The links below have instructions for deleting photos.

iOS and iPod: Syncing photos using iTunes

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4236

iPad Tip: How to Delete Photos from Your iPad in the Photos App

http://ipadacademy.com/2011/08/ipad-tip-how-to-delete-photos-from-your-ipad-in-t he-photos-app

Another Way to Quickly Delete Photos from Your iPad (Mac Only)

http://ipadacademy.com/2011/09/another-way-to-quickly-delete-photos-from-your-ip ad-mac-only

How to Delete Photos from iPad

http://www.wondershare.com/apple-idevice/how-to-delete-photos-from-ipad.html

How to: Batch Delete Photos on the iPad

http://www.lifeisaprayer.com/blog/2010/how-batch-delete-photos-ipad

(With iOS 5.1, use 2 fingers)

How to Delete Photos from iCloud’s Photo Stream

http://www.cultofmac.com/124235/how-to-delete-photos-from-iclouds-photo-stream/

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Apr 2, 2013 1:11 PM in response to Texas Mac Man

And the android solution to this is just to delete the files from the photos folder.. I list this as one of three reasons why you should go with a android device over ipad... Note, nothing I've ever tried has permitted me to delete a photos folder from my iPad, I've tried using the computer to access the photos, I've tried going into settings->usage->photos&camera->"Photo Library" (slide left to reveal delete button), delete.. and that doesn't work..

The only thing I can think of that would work here is to wipe the iPad and reinstall everything..

BTW, to those thinking I'm dumb, I have a computer science degree, I'm learning to program iPad's in fact, right now, I've got Linux and Windows on one machine, I've got 6 years of C programming, and a decade of PHP, computer consultant in college for everything from windows to ultrixc to irix, I aced digital electronics.. But no logic will explain how why I can't delete 2GB's of photos from my "Photo Library" on my iPad..

The only thing I can imagine is that something got screwed up in the iOS releases and I've got something strange going on with my iPad. For the record, the same thing is happening to a friend of mine on his iPad, and he reconstructs jet planes for air museums for a living.

BTW does anyone know of any software that I can compile on my iPad that will permit me to go in on the unix shell and delete the files directly?

Apr 2, 2013 2:24 PM in response to rofthorax

Okay people check this out, and tell me what I'm doing wrong.. Leave messages on these unlisted youtube videos.. Or here, but I'd prefer the youtube videos.. Mainly because I don't trust the web managers at apple, they removed some of my previous messages on this topic..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUufR35FBx0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DebRlLRtxNI

I have a 2GB "Photo Library" that is undeletable.. I should be able to delete the photos from the usage section in settings on the iPad, shouldn't I.. I show in the "cellphone camera" video how I am trying to do that.. Note, this method of deleting data works for everything, but not for this, even though the option to delete the photos from the device are offered, you can't use it..

I think apple failed..

Oops I forgot to complete uploading the cellphone camera video.. That should be up shortly..

Apr 2, 2013 2:36 PM in response to rofthorax

There's 2 ways to get Photos on to an iPad. By Syncing with a computer through iTunes.

And by creating the image on the iPad directly. This includes the Camera Connection Kit, Pictures taken with the iPad cameras, downloaded from the web, or saved from an app. In short all pictures inside the Camera Roll album.

The first category of pictures can only be removed in the same way it was put on there. Through iTunes, by deselecting the folders that were originally selected for transfer and then syncing again. Yes synced Photyos cannot be deleted by any other means execpet by de-syncing them. That is unselect the folders in the Photos section of iTunes, and then sync again. Thsi will remove the unselected folders from the iPad.

The second category can be deleted by simply going into the Photos App accessing the Camera Roll, and using one of 2 methods:

Using the Trashcan icon present at the top right corner when viewing the image full screen. Just tap it to delete it.

Or using the Edit button at the top right corner when in thumbnail view. Tap it, then tap on each picture to select it, and then tap on the red Delete button on the top left corner to delete the selected pictures.

Only Camera Roll photos can be deleted directly on the iPad.

That's it. There's no strange science here.

Apr 2, 2013 2:52 PM in response to Phil0124

Though it may be possible to fix, the logic of the process isn't there.. What is the justification for making it hard to delete photos from a device? It's not Digital Rights Management, which is the reason they don't permit people to access the device like it is a drive.. There is someone at apple that has some sort of bizarre idea about how the photos storage system is supposed to work..

Apr 2, 2013 3:07 PM in response to Phil0124

BTW, there is no trashcan option available when looking at the photo, and I've looked at the iPad from the camera connection kit, and it isn't displaying anything on the iPad..

Keep in mind, I program computers, I know unix inside and out, I programmed C64's 25 years ago, that's how far back my computer usage experience goes.. This is a bug, plain and simple..

It's probably the case that there is a folder in the iPad that the photos app in the iPad has a file identifier to, and that when anything else tries to access it, that a folder is being searched for and none is being found.. IT could be that the photos folder is not linked to the file hierarchy, that it is somewhere else than where it should be, like in "/opt/other" or worse yet "/tmp"..

Apr 2, 2013 3:14 PM in response to rofthorax

To apple's tech people.. I think it may be how the files are beind accessed... Keep in mind a symbolic link to a file references its location in the file hierarchy. a hard link acesses the files node id.. So if you have software that is accessing the folders via symbolic link and the internal app for the iPad is accessing it from a hard link or node identifier, then the app will see what external accessor can't see.. Remember the Unix hierarchy is for humans, Unix is really a flat filesystem..

Apr 2, 2013 3:26 PM in response to Phil0124

BTW, I checked photos sync, and I'm assuming you think somehow I'm re-syncing photos back to my iPad and by unchecking some folder it will not sync from my mac to my iPad, no that's not the problem.. I can't even access the folders I'm seeing in my iPad from my mac, using iTunes nor iPhoto, the photos are just not there..

However as you can see from my cellphone capture, the photos are alive and well living on my iPad.. I can only imagine that this is some sort of failure of agreement on how the folders of photos are to be found by iTunes and by the app itself.. There probably is something going on like a folder was deleted that contained a symbolic link to the folder that the app uses natively.. Or maybe the files can't be deleted because something else still is using the files (has hard links to files).. If its a database error, then why are the photos still intact??

Apr 2, 2013 3:39 PM in response to Phil0124

Note, Syncing is for filesystem management wusses, I am one of those who keeps backups of everything away on DVD-R's and external USB drives, so I have no problem with data management.. IF I want something on my iPad, I'd rather have direct management of it, I have no need for syncing of files between those on my computer and those on my devices.. I think file syncing is a waste of time and space, so I don't use it.. at best all I ever do is make complete backups of the iPad, if I'm worried about the integrity of the device.. I forgot how I put the photos onto my iPad in the photo library folder, but I can't get them off.. I think it's a folder issue, probably a internal folder naming/search problem.. It could be if iTunes is searching for photos from a database and the database is not matching what is in the filesystem, that would explain the problem..

Apr 2, 2013 4:23 PM in response to rofthorax

O.k. the Delete option from within settings does nothing. That is very possibly a bug.

Only Pictures in the Camera Roll can be deleted directly on the iPad using the trash can. Pictures in other albums not linked from the Camera Album cannot.

Anything in the Photo Library had to be synced to get there. There is no other way to get it there other than syncing. As any other picture will end up in the Camera Roll. Any other Album that is not from Camera Roll would have to be there from syncing.

Regardless of wether you like to do it or not, the fact is it was done at some point.

The only way to remove those pictures now, is to unsync. or sync to an empty Album.

So go in to Itunes with the iPad connected, click on its icon on the left or on the button at the top right if you have iTunes 11 and the side bar isn't showing. Click on the Photos Tab there, and either choose en empty Album or deselect any albums there. Then sync again to remove the pictures.

User uploaded file

Yes its not easy or intuitive but its the way it is. Why? Only Apple knows. wether its a good way of doing things i don't know. I've gotten used to it. So I know what can and cannot be deleted.

Apr 2, 2013 4:46 PM in response to Phil0124

This youtube video explains how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8j6iDCt5es

Again this is for pictures that are not in the Camera roll. That is pictures that you synced form the computer and not ones you took with the iPad camera, or downloaded fom the web, or saved from an App.

Pictures in the Camera roll can be directly deleted on the iPad using the trahscan icon as explained before.

Pictures in other albums that were synced from a computer must be unsynced.

how to delete photo library from ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.