Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Someone hacked my gmail account and Google says it was because someone hacked my MBP. Help Please!

Long story short.

My gf had her gmail account hacked and the password changed. While I was at work, she contacted Google via telephone for a password reset. The rep apparently gained access to my MBP and said that someone in Romaina hacked into my MBP and obtained her password. The rep wanted to charge her $100 to put "anti-hacking" and "anti-virus" software on my computer. My wifi runs through an Airport and is password protected. Additionally, I am the primary user of my MBP and none of my gmail accounts were touched.

Is it possible that someone actually hacked into my MBP and obtained my gf's password? How can I verify that this did or did not happen? It sounds very fishy to me and more of a sales scam. I also don't like the fact that a had a google rep having access to my laptop.

mac book pro, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 11:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 11:48 AM

jwyble wrote:

The rep apparently gained access to my MBP and said that someone in Romaina hacked into my MBP and obtained her password. The rep wanted to charge her $100 to put "anti-hacking" and "anti-virus" software on my computer.

Did she tell that? Don't trust her. It can make sense that someone would have hacked your Mac, but it looks like she was lying you to buy slow antiviruses for your computer. Just leave your Mac as it is. Also, see > http://www.reedcorner.net/mmg

If you want to make sure, you can see what's connecting to the Internet on your Mac with Little Snitch > http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2013 11:48 AM in response to jwyble

jwyble wrote:

The rep apparently gained access to my MBP and said that someone in Romaina hacked into my MBP and obtained her password. The rep wanted to charge her $100 to put "anti-hacking" and "anti-virus" software on my computer.

Did she tell that? Don't trust her. It can make sense that someone would have hacked your Mac, but it looks like she was lying you to buy slow antiviruses for your computer. Just leave your Mac as it is. Also, see > http://www.reedcorner.net/mmg

If you want to make sure, you can see what's connecting to the Internet on your Mac with Little Snitch > http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html

Jan 21, 2013 2:14 PM in response to mende1

As a follow up:

So my gf had apparantely contacted some third party company to resolve her gmail account instead of Google. Once she told me this, I contacted Google's support via telephone (paying $2.00) and resent all information necessary to gain access to the account. At this point, I really do not believe that my computer was hacked, but cannot be sure until I check it myself later tonight.

I am still fighting with Google to have them send my gf a link to reset her password. I spoke to the supervisor on my second call and laid out the issues and informed that they have still not frozen the email account, which means that Google has continued to allow an identity thief continued use of her account causing her great mental distress and financial harm. I think the supervisor understood what I was saying.

Has anyone ever had to deal with this issue?

Jan 21, 2013 2:31 PM in response to jwyble

All you need to do is log into the Google account and change the password yourself and that will stop anyone else from access.

Also I doubt it was Romania. I know there is a place in Google accounts that says where the log ins are occuring but it is widely wrong and way off base.

You will need to do 2 things:

a) Change the account password immediately

b) Enable 2-factor authentication so that you must receive a text and enter a code in order to log into your email.

Change Account Password:

From google.com homepage in the upper right click SIGN IN.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Click on the name now shown in upper right:

User uploaded file

Click on Account:

User uploaded file

On the left hand side click on Security:

User uploaded file

On the next page click on Change Password:

User uploaded file

Follow the prompts to change the password:

User uploaded file

Once that is finished then go in and turn on 2-step Verification from the Accounts Page. In my example it says ON because I have mine ON already.

User uploaded file

Someone hacked my gmail account and Google says it was because someone hacked my MBP. Help Please!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.