Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using devanagari script in the 'special characters' option in Pages

Using the special characters menu in Pages how can I produce double consonances? Any help would be gratefully received

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 12:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 1:12 PM

That should be double consonants if you have been searching.

What keyboard are you using?

Devanāgarī Typing & Keyboard Layouts (Mac & Windows)

http://www.indiantypefoundry.com/help/technical-issues/devanagari-keyboard/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3548952?start=0&tstart=0

Peter

6 replies

Jan 21, 2013 1:17 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Thanks Peter no luck on the correct spelling either. The link you suggested is down for maintenance at the moment. I'm using a standard qwerty keyboard and selecting characters from a symbol menu (using mouse clicks) which allows some contextual ligatures (joining up some symbols correctly) but not others it would seem .... thanks for help anyway.

Jan 21, 2013 1:26 PM in response to JulesApple

Why are you not using the Devanagari keyboard?

Menu > Apple > System Preferences > Languages & Text > Edit List… > check Devanagari > OK > Drag to top if you want the Mac to display in Devanagari, otherwise near the top and switch keyboards as required

Did you read the other links as well?

In the Special Characters, the Devanagari code table is 00000900 Devanagari

Peter

Jan 21, 2013 2:26 PM in response to JulesApple

JulesApple wrote:

I'm using a standard qwerty keyboard and selecting characters from a symbol menu

To type Devanagari you use the Devangari Qwerty keyboard layout. Conjuncts are typed by using the f key between them. so "hindi" is typed h i n f d shift+i हिन्दी

The font takes care of itself.

There's no need to do anything with the Language tab of system preferences/language & text, only the Input Sources tab matters

Just ask if you need further info.

Using devanagari script in the 'special characters' option in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.