Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Memory in Mac Mini

Just receive my OWC 8GB Memory Modules to install in my Mac Mini,can I get a heads up on handling Electostatic Devices.

Mac mini

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 2:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 2:26 PM

Do you mean how to not destroy the RAM?

I have not had any issue if I handle the silicon-RAM-card by its plastic edges. Touching the RAM chips themselves on the card is not advised bit not fatal usually. But I *never* touch the gold-plated insert-pins because those are very electrically active.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2013 2:26 PM in response to Mikee-d

Do you mean how to not destroy the RAM?

I have not had any issue if I handle the silicon-RAM-card by its plastic edges. Touching the RAM chips themselves on the card is not advised bit not fatal usually. But I *never* touch the gold-plated insert-pins because those are very electrically active.

Jan 21, 2013 4:26 PM in response to Mikee-d

Anti-static straps are not completely unwarranted, and if you really do not trust yourself intially you can. But I have built 3 tower systems (install CPUs which are very statis sensitive, RAM, other cards) and replaced the RAM in my MBP. All without that strap. Just common sense and touch grounded metal, and touch only the plastic edges o the RAM boards.

Installing Memory in Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.