Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid-2012 MacBook Air's headphone jack problem

My Mid-2012 MacBook Air's headphone jack only plays through the right headphone and extremely faintly on the left. I was wondering what could have caused this and how do I fix it? Thanks for any help about this situation.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 4:41 PM

8 replies

Apr 2, 2013 2:00 PM in response to NCUHoneyBadger

I have had the same problem, and I asked a guy who works in authorized apple service in my country and he said to check the balance in system preferences>sound>output but it was in the middle than I realized that I have to plug in headphones and the balance moved automaticly on the right side then I put it back and here we go fixed both sides were working perfectly 🙂 I hope this will help 🙂

Dec 27, 2013 3:10 AM in response to Black-Metal

This just happened to me again yesterday... if you are experiencing it a lot, you are actually in a good position to figure out scientifically what causes it.

I can't figure it out.

• I am using Boom app
  • it is OS X mavericks
  • I was trying out different headphones at the time

but I'm sure I have switched headphones in the past tons of times without getting it.

I wonder if something is making the OS think that the output device is mono... like the plug causing some sort of short circuit on its way into the socket...

Mid-2012 MacBook Air's headphone jack problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.