Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cutting up a video into different events using iMovie

I have just imported a large homemade video into iMovie which is just one file but contains footage taken from various holidays I have been on. Is there a way to separate the video into different events under the Event Library? I seem to be having trouble working out how to do it.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 4:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 8:05 PM

It is possible in the event library, but I would suggest that you do it in an app called MPEG Streamclip. It will be much faster and easier to do it using MPEG Streamclip.

Download MPEG Streamclip here.

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

Drag your large file into MPEG Streamclip.

Now, set your playhead to the beginning of the first event, and type i for in point. move the playhead to the end of this clips, and type o for out point. Then, use FILE/EXPORT TO QUICKTIME. Choose Apple Intermediate Codec as your codec. (Note: if your original clips are in DV, you may wish to stick with DV. Otherwise use Apple Intermediate Codec, and don't change any of the settings. Give it a name and location. You can import this into an iMovie Event using FILE/IMPORT MOVIE in iMovie.

Repeat this until you have all the clips you need.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2013 8:05 PM in response to AliM1987

It is possible in the event library, but I would suggest that you do it in an app called MPEG Streamclip. It will be much faster and easier to do it using MPEG Streamclip.

Download MPEG Streamclip here.

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

Drag your large file into MPEG Streamclip.

Now, set your playhead to the beginning of the first event, and type i for in point. move the playhead to the end of this clips, and type o for out point. Then, use FILE/EXPORT TO QUICKTIME. Choose Apple Intermediate Codec as your codec. (Note: if your original clips are in DV, you may wish to stick with DV. Otherwise use Apple Intermediate Codec, and don't change any of the settings. Give it a name and location. You can import this into an iMovie Event using FILE/IMPORT MOVIE in iMovie.

Repeat this until you have all the clips you need.

Cutting up a video into different events using iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.