Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto upoads of jpeg/raw photos come out as unrequested Tiff files

After uploading photos from a Nikon D90, iPhoto processes part of the batch as Tiff files (about 1/4 of them) the rest as jpeg/raw files which is what my camera is programmed for. Nikon claims this is an Apple directive, since you can't choose Tiff in the programming of the camera. I do not want Tiff in iPhoto processing, how do I clear this up?

G4 G5 Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 3:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 4:48 PM

Where are you seeing this? What version of iPhoto do you have? In the iPhoto advancedpreferences what setting do you have for use TIFF for RAW edits

LN

10 replies

Jan 21, 2013 6:29 PM in response to LarryHN

Larry:

Thank you for your reply. I have IPhoto '09 version 8.1.2; the advanced setting was checkmarked to "save edits as 16 bit Tiff files. And therein you've directed me to where my problem may lie? Shall I change to the "use Raw when using external edit checkbox"? All of my problems started when I tried to e-mail some photos and they were not able to be accepted by the receipient computer. Then I noticed the photo sizes were 640 x 448 (0 KB) verses 3470 x 2431( 3.0 MB) on the jpeg. I need to find out exactly the differences between the advanced tiff and raw choices. I must have check marked the Tiff choice inadvertantly as this was never a problem before.

If you have any more advice for me I will greatly appreciate it. I can't find anything in writing about the details of this choice and even Nikon was mystified. Hope to hear for more advice or if my problem is solved, I am very grateful.

Anele

Jan 21, 2013 6:39 PM in response to Anele

two totally diofferent things

saving edits as TIFFs most certainly explains why your edited RAW photos were saved as TIFFs - iPhoto did exaclty what you instructed it to do

Using RAW in external editors is just that - when you use an external editor the RAW is passed to it for editing which means you have to save to the desktop and import a new edited photo to iPhoto - unless you have a good very specific reason to want this I suggest you uncheck both options

With both unchedked you will no longer get TIFFs when photos are edited and when you edit in an external editor you will simply save (not save as) and everything will work easilyh and smoothly

Then I noticed the photo sizes were 640 x 448 (0 KB) verses 3470 x 2431( 3.0 MB) on the jpeg.

This has nothing to do with teh two options in anyway - is is by sending photos as small rather than actual, or large - if you are using Mail there are two places to set this and either can make it small

LN

Jan 21, 2013 7:00 PM in response to LarryHN

Thanks a milion for steering me in the right direction. Now for the undoing of all those Tiff files. They are quite clearly marked in iPhoto under Kind: Tiff image, and I'm stuck with 4 copies of each photo, I will trash the Tiff photos. Again, I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

Anele

Jan 21, 2013 7:24 PM in response to LarryHN

I intended to remove the photos with the small 640 x 448 size, "0" KB, or the Tiff labeling of image to the iPhoto trash bin. For some reason I have 4 copies of any edited photo, and I don't need to keep so many copies. I want to only keep the best, which is usually a RAW copy, or edited RAW copy. Do you have more directives for me so I don't really mess up my system. I won't loose my initial original photo by doing this will I?

Anele

Jan 21, 2013 7:58 PM in response to Anele

Only to never go into the iPhoto library

And I am concerned with the 0 KB photos - What camera do you have? and what version of iPhoto? and is your OS 10.5.6 as reported in your profile?

I also am concerned about the 640x448 photos - I understood that you had large resolution photos in iPhoto adn that when you e-mailed them they e-mail contained small photos - not that iPhoto did

LN

Jan 21, 2013 8:19 PM in response to LarryHN

My photos are taken with a Nikon D90 camera, my Mac Pro is version 10.6.8, iPhoto '09 version 8.1.2.

Yes, I have large resolution photos, Raw and Jpeg, then the 0 KB, and those listed as Tiff file. This issue was a conglomerate of 341 photos taken at one photoshoot. (my iPhoto has over 34,000 photos). I don't have the photos sorted out as to how many were converted to the Tiff file. I just started editing some photos or accepting the good photos and sending 10 at a time for review to my client. The first 2 batches of 10 photos sent were ok, the following 3 batches of 10 each, were all returned to me as not being accepted the the server. And so my problems started.

Anele

iPhoto upoads of jpeg/raw photos come out as unrequested Tiff files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.