Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mountain Lion blackouts

OK, I previously experienced a lot of recurring blackouts on my 15" MP while running on Lion.

I consulted with a certified Mac tech, and he pinpointed the issue to a logic board malfunction. He installed gfxCardStatus and told me to try running it on Integrated and then Discrete for a while and see if anything improved. Truth be told, no improvements while using either setting...still got the blackouts.

The same Mac tech told me my best shot giving the age of my MP was to buy a new one, since replacing the logic board was not cost effective.

I asked if upgrading the OS to Mountain Lion might fix the issue, on the long shot it was just a funky firmware issue with Lion. Although he didn't think it would fix anything, he did say go for it on the off chance it helped.

Before upgrading though, I backed up my harddrive and reverted back to Snow Leopard...just for kicks. Turns out for the two days I ran SL, I had no blackouts, and I ran several different graphics-heavy apps just in case. No issues.

However, some of my apps no longer ran on SL, so I went ahead and upgraded to Mountain Lion. For about a day, I had no problems.

Then all of a sudden, back to the blackouts. This time though, looks like Apple built in an auto restart when the MP experiences a blackout. That just means I don't have to force power-off ... but I'm still getting the blackout!

This is a shout out for any other ideas ANYONE might have as to a solution for this. Has anyone had any luck fixing their blackout issues, aside from just buying a new Mac?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Two+ year machine

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 7:32 PM

There are no replies.

Mountain Lion blackouts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.