Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My early 2011 (1 year plus) MacBookPro graphics suddenly shifted to the left.

User uploaded file

Send in for repair evaluation - came back with Logic Board and Battery problem need S$1290 for repplacement

Crazy Look like graphic card problem. and for that money can buy MacBook Air

Only 1 year plus - no more warranty. Can understand if it is harddisk or battery problem but logic board should last.

Not going to repair it at apple authorised repair shop. Looking for third party repair in SG.

Mac Pro 15, Mac OS X (10.6.7), OS Lion 10.7.2

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 10:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 10:35 PM

Unfortunately the GPU is soldered onto the logic board - hence the need for a logic board replacement. I've no idea about the battery - I'm guessing that it just didn't pass diagnostics.

At this point I think you'd just be better served by putting the money towards a new computer. It's a shame you didn't buy the AppleCare extended warranty - would have been a free repair had you had it.

Sorry,

Clinton

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2013 10:35 PM in response to waitee

Unfortunately the GPU is soldered onto the logic board - hence the need for a logic board replacement. I've no idea about the battery - I'm guessing that it just didn't pass diagnostics.

At this point I think you'd just be better served by putting the money towards a new computer. It's a shame you didn't buy the AppleCare extended warranty - would have been a free repair had you had it.

Sorry,

Clinton

Jan 21, 2013 11:02 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Yea intend to get a new one. Would have done it if it is s$500.

I am in the semiconductor industries. For a logic board or graphic to fail less than 2 year is not acceptable.

My Toshiba laptop lasted 7 years and the only problem is hard disk.

Graphic card soldered into Logic board is a failure in design knowing very well that it is a heat source.

This graphic problem seems to be most of the problem issue.

Thank you for sharing.

Jan 21, 2013 11:12 PM in response to waitee

I had my first MacBook Pro - a 1,1 2006 model - last for 6 years (and it's still running for someone in Minnesota) and only had to replace the fans.

There's just no telling when or why a part is going to 'fail' - I generally try to upgrade my computers every three years (and I always buy AppleCare) just before my warranty runs out (or very shortly thereafter). I was firtunate to get 6+ years out of that MBP, I think.

AFAIK, most GPUs on laptops are soldered onto the logic boards - that's just the way notebooks are made (unlike the Mac Pro, for instance).

You just had a run of bad luck, I'm afraid. Next time, be sure and purchase the extended warranty! You never know when you'll need it...

Clinton

My early 2011 (1 year plus) MacBookPro graphics suddenly shifted to the left.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.