Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP printer Upgrade to a lower number release???

Aaaaa... I don't understand.

I have a HP P1606dn laser printer. It works very well, does everything I ask and doesn't give me any trouble.

In SYSTEM PREFERENCES / PRINT & SCAN / OPTIONS & SUPPLIES / GENERAL TAB it says the driver version is 5.0

Today I see a software update for printer driver software for my HP printer to version 2.13 (?) If I click the 'more' link, it goes to http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669 where it says the driver version is 5.0 (?)

It looks to me like this is either going to down-rev my driver or do nothing.

I don't think I want this to install unless someone can give me a good reason why I should.

How do I get rid of this update notification?

A.M.

Mac Pro (Early 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 10:45 PM

10 replies

Jan 22, 2013 10:29 PM in response to baltwo

baltwo

You reinforce, if not confirm what I suspected about the version numbers, and that helps. But where would a normal customer person find this out?

None of the pages or screens associated with this 'update' talk about version numbers, much less make it clear that the update has a seperate version number from the software it's going to install. Every other software company I can think of says "Update to version X.Y.Z with the version X.Y.Z updater".

Unless there's some funny business going on, clearly the driver version 5.0 doesn't uptade the driver version 5.0...

But that doesn't answer my original question:

How do I get rid of this update notification?

And it brings up the question of why this 'update' notification is being pushed at me in the first place?

The other 'leading software company' gives me the option of refusing an update and tell it to go away and never come back. Is Apple now putting us on a tread-mill where we all have to do the same stuff even if we don't need it, aren't given enough information to evaluate what they're pushing, and not given the option to refuse?

A.M.

HP printer Upgrade to a lower number release???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.