Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2007 iMac freezes up, rainbow wheel appears when this happens. I know the computer is starting to get old but I can't afford a new one at this time and would love to continue using my Mac, but it's frustrating. Would a fresh install or OS upgrade resolve?

My circa 2007 iMac freezes up, and rainbow wheel appears when this happens. I know the computer is starting to get old but I can't afford a new one at this time and would love to continue using my Mac, but it's frustrating. Most of the time I ONLY have 1 thing open at a time, and keep my tabs down to a minimum. I bought this to do film editing on but with it acting like this I cannot do that. I know I need a ram upgrade (currently running 2 gb) and my OS is old, 10.5.8, but I think even with it being a bit outdated it should run better than this. Would a fresh install or OS upgrade resolve this? Or any other suggestions to keep this clunker chugging along for a little while longer?

Imac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 11:20 PM

4 replies

Jan 22, 2013 3:15 AM in response to loudogg2055

How full is the hard drive?

Do you run any virus software or hard drive "cleaner" software like MacKeeper?

If your model is from 2007 you can install up to 6 GBs of RAM.

2 GBs is the barest of minimum RAM for OS X to run on.

Especially if doing video work. You simply do not have sufficient RAM.

Also OS X 10.5.8 Leopard support ended around 2009.

You could update to OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, at least.

It is available on disc from the Apple store for U.S. $19.99.

I Would seriously upgrade your iMac's RAM to the max. 6 GBs before doing this.

Reliable Mac RAM can be purchase from online Mac RAM source Crucial memory or OWC ( also known as macsales).

2007 iMac freezes up, rainbow wheel appears when this happens. I know the computer is starting to get old but I can't afford a new one at this time and would love to continue using my Mac, but it's frustrating. Would a fresh install or OS upgrade resolve?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.