Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading OS v10.5 to 10.6 involving Timemachine

Hello,

I'm running a MBP from late 2008, with the latest version of 10.5 installed. I have purchased the Snow Leopard OS disc, and want to upgrade my computer so that I can then upgrade to the latest OS.

What I'd like to do is to back up my system onto my Timemachine device, before formatting and reinstalling Snow Leopard.

Will I be able to restore/import all my old files and applications from Timemachine if I do this? My concern is that because I've backed up to Timemachine on a different OS (v10.5), there may be some compatability issues when trying to restore on the new OS.

Any help on this would be great!

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 2:59 AM

1 reply

Jan 22, 2013 5:47 AM in response to Pears123

If you're re-formating then you will boot into Setup Assistant, when you install SL. You will be prompted to Migrate your files and you will choose from a "TM backup". It will migrate from the newest backup.

On the other hand, there's no reason to reformat and you can just do a straight upgrade install and keep all your files.

Upgrading OS v10.5 to 10.6 involving Timemachine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.