You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why do i need an iCloud email address when i have already got an email address

I am trying to get my emails synced between my i phone and my macbook. Why do have to have an icloud email address when i already have a hotmail address?

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 4:20 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 6:38 PM

If I want to use notes it seems as if I do have to set up an icloud email or I cannot sync my notes. I see no reason for this as notes should be just notes. Why do I need an email addy for notes? What else do I really need the email for? How can I use the email? If I give my @icloud email out will people be able to email me and I can email them back and all is stored in the cloud? What gives?

Thanks

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 2, 2013 6:38 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

If I want to use notes it seems as if I do have to set up an icloud email or I cannot sync my notes. I see no reason for this as notes should be just notes. Why do I need an email addy for notes? What else do I really need the email for? How can I use the email? If I give my @icloud email out will people be able to email me and I can email them back and all is stored in the cloud? What gives?

Thanks

Jan 22, 2013 4:24 AM in response to bernwhat

bernwhat wrote:

I am trying to get my emails synced between my i phone and my macbook.

iCloud syncs only its own email: it has no relationship to any other email service. You can set other email services up separately in the Mail app: if they are IMAP they will appear as synced between devices.

Why do have to have an icloud email address when i already have a hotmail address?

You don't 'have' to have an @icloud.com address if you don't want one; it's one of the iCloud facilities on offer, but if you don't want to use it just don't enable it in the checklist when you sign in.

Jan 22, 2013 6:27 AM in response to bernwhat

No. If you check the 'Mail' checkbox you will be asked to create an @icloud.com address and this will be synced between your Mac, the iCloud website, and any other Macs/devices which are signed in.

If you do not check the box the you will not have an @icloud.com address.

In neither case will iCloud affect other email services in any way. iCloud does not sync other email services: you can set them up in the usual way in the Mail application, independently of iCloud.

Apr 2, 2013 11:46 PM in response to MatthewMan

MatthewMan wrote:

Why do I need an email addy for notes?

I don't use Notes so I can't advise there - you should ask in a new thread, titling it specifically about Notes to get a response. As this thread you've tacked on to isn't about that you're not likely to get a reply here.

What else do I really need the email for?

Apart from Notes, if it really is the case it's required for that, you don't need it - it's an additional email service you can use or not use as you wish.

How can I use the email?

Sign in in System Preferences (or Settings)>iCloud and check Mail in the checklist there. (Lion 10.7.2 minimum or iOS5/6 required.)

If I give my @icloud email out will people be able to email me and I can email them back and all is stored in the cloud?

Yes - it's an IMAP email service just like any other.

why do i need an iCloud email address when i have already got an email address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.