Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Small Business w/Mac Mini Running Server OSX, Connect From Home Solution -> VPN?

I am trying to setup my Mac Mini running OS X Server (Mountain Lion) to be accessed from users at home (for file sharing and Contact Services). Is a VPN the best solution? (Small business setup - privacy/security a concern).

Hi everyone, and Thanks for the help in advance!

I am currently setting up a network for my company (small business) and have a few questions. We have a Mac Mini (mid-2012) running Server OS X Mountain Lion, and 5 MBP's (our work computers- all running latest version of Mountain Lion).

To summarize:

My goal = Setup a secure way of connecting the MBP's to the server when our personnel are at home (for file sharing).

I am switching all of the users from local to network (we didn't need the network functionality when we first setup the server, and we are now expanding our use of it). This is going to occur this weekend, as downtime for the server is needed to make the changes.

After I establish the Open Directory and all of that, I will be setting up Contact Services (to share a master list of contacts with the members of our department) and we already have some Calendar sharing setup.

The purpose of this is to enable our employees the option of working necessary overtime from home so they can be with their families instead of in the office all the time. It is a noble cause and I want to set this up the best that I can for them.

This being said... I'm no Mac Genius, and this stuff can get very confusing very fast. I have read a little about VPN's, and am wondering if this is the solution to my problem. We need to establish a SECURE way of connecting to the server from remote locations, enabling us to pull needed files from the server.

If anybody can offer some advice on this I would really appreciate it. I love Apple products and I have faith that this is as easy as I've been told it is.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration!

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Running OSX Server

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 6:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 2:26 PM

Hello,

It can be done using VPN, but take a look at LogMein for somplicity...

https://secure.logmein.com/

8 replies

Jan 23, 2013 5:33 AM in response to BDAqua

Good to know that VPN will work, thank you!

As far as LogMmeIn goes, that would work perfectly if the employees were to work from home on their computer. We bought the MBP's because they have the power of a great windows desktop, but in laptop form. This way they can take their workstations home with them and just access the server over a VPN for file sharing. LogMeIn is some cool software though, I love how easy remoting in has gotten.

Jan 23, 2013 5:41 AM in response to J_Semp

VPN would be your best solution for File Sharing and even Screen Sharing to the Server. I have a 2012 Mac Mini running OS X Server with VPN enabled. I can take my MBP Retina anywhere I have an Internet connection and VPN into the server to grab files or Screen Share to the Server to administer it. It's as if I'm on the local network.

LogMeIn is very useful for administration of computers (PC and Macs) using the Free version. The Pro version does offer more bells and whistles like File Transfer. I use LogMeIn to access client computers to fix issues or show the client how to do something. It's basically just another form of Screen Sharing (VNC).

Jan 23, 2013 1:04 PM in response to keg55

@ keg55-

Right on! Thats what I wanted to hear (I've been researching VPN's for a while and was hoping that was the correct solution).

Just wondering... was your VPN difficult to set up? I have read some absolute HORROR stories about setting up VPN's and setting ports and all the technical stuff, and im praying that I dont run into problems like that.

Jan 23, 2013 1:24 PM in response to J_Semp

No, it wasn't difficult at all to setup in OS X Server. I use a free internet domain name from DynDNS.com. I don't know if they still offer free ones anymore. You can not use VPN and 'Back to My Mac' at the same time as they use some or all of the same ports.

I'm at work and not on my Mac at the moment so this is from memory.

Within OS X Server, I enabled the VPN Service (default L2TP) and used my free domain name in the VPN Host Name and a Secret passphrase. This put an entry in my Airport Extreme router for VPN (port mapping).

Within the client Mac, I added a VPN network connnection (System Preferences /Network). I pointed to my free domain name in the Server Address, used my Server account name in the account name. I think there's an Authentication button that I clicked. I entered my Server account password, the Secret passphrase in the Secret field, checked a box to show VPN icon in Menu Bar and exited out of that. Then clicked the Advanced button and checked the box to send all traffic over VPN connection.

I had VPN authentication issues at first when trying to connect to test out the connection. I just kept trying as I knew I had all the settings correct and it would finally connect after about 3-4 tries. After that, I sometimes have to connect more than once to actually connect to my Server via VPN. But it does work nice. I brought my MBP into work once to test it out and was able to connect to my home Server via VPN and use Screen Sharing and had access to all my shared folders.

Jan 23, 2013 1:42 PM in response to keg55

Awesome, Thank You very much!!!

I just checked out DynDNS.com and they sell the domains for $15 a year which doesnt seem too bad.

For my purposes, however, i'm not sure if i need their DNS services that they advertise... I am a complete NOOB when it comes to this stuff. Its not complicated, rather, up untill now I have not had a reason to learn any of it. Out of context, these things can be a little confusing!

Jan 28, 2013 1:07 PM in response to keg55

Ugh. What a mess this turned into!

I was told by Apple Support that i needed to get some information from my ISP about our connection before I could go ahead and switch my users from local to network (and then set up the DNS, Open directory and contact/calendar services).

Every different tech comes with a different answer and its driving me nuts.

I was told that I could have set up contacts and all of that, but depending on what kind of settings my ISP has assigned, we could have a total failure of our network.

I was asked if he have a static IP or not, and what type of Static IP it is if we do indeed have one (public or internal). I was also asked about if they block ports, if they allow VPN port traffic and questions about DNS lookup.

I am NOT a networking pro, and need all the clarification that I can get. Any further help is greatly appreciated...

Small Business w/Mac Mini Running Server OSX, Connect From Home Solution -> VPN?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.