Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sorting of Multi-Disc Audiobooks not corretly - iTunes 11

Hello all,

After i upgraded to iTunes 11, my audiobooks are not sorted correctly now (Like it was before the update).

Before it was sorted like:

Disk01 Track01

Disk01 Track02

Disk01 Track03

Disk02 Track01

Disk02 Track02

Disk02 Track03

Disk03 Track01

Disk03 Track02

Disk03 Track03

Now its sorted like that:

Disk01 Track01

Disk02 Track01

Disk03 Track01

Disk01 Track02

Disk02 Track02

Disk03 Track02

Disk01 Track03

Disk02 Track03

Disk03 Track03

But i cann't change the track number. I have about 400 Audiobooks with Multiple-Disks and Tracks.

If i click on "List", the Sorting is correct.

If i change one Audiobook to "Music", the sorting is correct. But that is not a solution, because i have more than 200 Music CDs there.

Furthermore, I want iTunes 11 to sort the Audiobooks by the Author. This makes much more Sense! 😟

what i mean e.g.: All audiobooks of J.R.R. Tolkien should be sorted by "J" and not like it is now, by the name of the novel.

I want the "Audiobooks" to be sorted by the same way as they would be (and are) sorted in "Music".

I spent so many days to get it sorted perfectly in iTunes 10. And now its all gone. 😟

I would appreciate it very much if someone could help me.

Best regards,

Chris

iTunes 11-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 7:26 AM

5 replies

Jan 22, 2013 8:23 AM in response to Griesdoof

Apple devices have always sorted audiobooks on the name field, instead of the disc number and track number values. This has normally made it tricky to listen to non-iTunes sourced audiobooks. It looks like iTunes 11 has now taken on the same rules. See Audiobooks on iPods for some possible workarounds.

Took me some time to "see" your problem because my books still order sensibly in iTunes. I routinely fix the track numbers so that multi-disc albums/audiobooks have consecutive track numbers. For audiobooks I recycle the disc numbers as series numbers for books that are part of a series. Together with suitable sort names I get the series listed together, in the right order, with the tracks of each book in the right order, in iTunes and on my iPods.

User uploaded file

tt2

Feb 15, 2013 3:08 PM in response to brewerpatriot01

This isn't a solution, it's a workaround. By definition, modifying good naming conventions in order to suit the intractable and unaddressed quirks of one piece of software doesn't fix the software.

The information is in the file specifically for the purpose of file and display management. If Apple wants to take file management away, fine. The user still needs control of the display.

Apr 5, 2013 3:54 AM in response to Griesdoof

The best way is to change the title number incrementally for all CDs of an audiobook. You can keep the CD numbers in the ID3 tags, but in my opinion there is no need of keeping the title numbers of each CD. When you buy an audiobook in iTunes the tracks are incrementally numbered as well. Guess why?

You can batch process this by using Tune•Instructor for Mac (tune-instructor.com).

The result:

CD 1, Title 1

CD 1, Title 2

CD 2, Title 3

CD 2, Title 4

CD 3, Title 5

CD 3, Title 6

Sorting of Multi-Disc Audiobooks not corretly - iTunes 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.