Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the name of the adapter I would use to connect my iPad (retina) to an ethernet cable? My school doesn't have wifi.

What is the name of the adapter I would use to connect my iPad 2 (retina, wifi only) to an ethernet cable? My school does not have wifi (yet), and I don't have a data service. Thanks.

iPad 2

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 9:29 AM

7 replies

Mar 9, 2016 3:47 PM in response to AmberFaye

Hi AmberFaye!

I found a way to connect to the internet through an ethernet cable, not using WIFI, thanks to this link:

http://9to5mac.com/2014/01/10/video-connect-your-ipad-to-the-internet-via-ethern et-cable-with-this-easy-hack/

To put things short, I used a lightning to USB converter plugged into the iPad, into this converter I plugged in the flat end of a USB cable, the other square end I plugged into a POWERED USB-Hub (the power of which I plugged into the mains), into this USB Hub I plugged a USB to Ethernet converter and into this I plugged my ethernet cable coming from my Internet Modem. At first I got a message on the screen that the connection required more power than available, then I restarted my iPad mini, and then I was able to connect to the internet. (of course I had deactivated WIFI on my iPad mini). This is an iPad mini 1st generation, running iOS 9.2.

This is really great for people that cannot access WIFI, or for those who are electrohypersensitive and feel uncomfrtable with WIFI.

Hope this helps,

Best regards

Berlugana

Mar 9, 2016 4:06 PM in response to berlugana

The above OP uses an iPad 2.

There is no lightning connector on an iPad 2. Only a 30 pin Dock Connector.

The 30 pin camera connection kit for older iPads may work, but the power output through the 30 pin connector, on older iPad models, is limited and your method may or may not work using the proper connector.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC531AM/A/apple-ipad-camera-connection-kit?fno de=91

What is the name of the adapter I would use to connect my iPad (retina) to an ethernet cable? My school doesn't have wifi.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.