Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Broken Backlight(?)

My PowerBook was in a thin laptop case with almost no protection and it fell off a table and hit the ground with a horrifying crack like sound. The computer still works, the OS seems fine, the LCD isn't cracked or damaged, but the backlihgt doesn't work anymore. I can see what's on the screen with a bright light but otherwise nothing. I don't have any way to open the computer just yet (Dang those awkward hex screws..) so I'm just wondering what do you all think? Could the backlight itself be broken? Or maybe the inverter for the backlight unplugged or broke? I've noticed the area around the plug is more... open than before. Even the plug is a bit finnicky now. 😟

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), G4 1.5ghz, 2gb RAM

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 9:21 AM

2 replies

Jan 22, 2013 10:49 AM in response to Texas Mac Man

Thanks Tom, I've already checked out ifixit (love that site). Do you happen to know where I could get a new backlight or inverter? I've been googling around but I keep coming up with the full display assembly for anywhere between 100 and 200 dollars which is way out of my budget. Could a new display work for a slightly older PowerBook? I've got the January 2005 1.5ghz 15" and I wouldn't mind having the brighter and slightly newer October 2005 1.67 ghz 15"'s display if I can find it for the right price. But no one seems to have an answer of whether the slightly newer display is compatible.

Broken Backlight(?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.