Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot see new hard drive in slot 3 on my Mac Pro

In the past I purchased a second hdd for slot 2, inserted it, all fine.

I just inserted another one into slot 3 and now I cannot see slot 2 or slot 3 in Finder.

I went to Disc Utilty and cannot see anything except one of my DVD drives (Upper Superdrive) - and then it also shows 'Untitled' (Lower Superdrive).

I have repositioned the hdd several times, even tried slot 4, even tried pulling them all out and replacing them - no change in accessing the drives in slot 2 or slot 3.

The drive in slot 1 is still accessible.

Please help me as all my work is on slot 2 (I am a wedding photographer).

Thank you in advance

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 12:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 12:23 PM

It is not unheard of to have one drive mess up the Bus and cause several others to malfunction. Malfunctioning SSD drives may be more likely to do this.

Try removing all but the one you are trying to get access to.

9 replies

Jan 22, 2013 12:34 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you for your reply. With just the drives in slots 1 and 2, I still only see slot 1.

I even rebooted with just the slot 2 in place to see if that would have any effect but when I put slot 1 back in, I could still only see slot 1.

At this point I don't really care about the new drive in slot 3 - I just want access to the drive in slot 2 again ...

Thank you again. Does this mean I have to take my machine into an apple store?

Jan 22, 2013 1:05 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Yes, under Serial-ATA I see the two DVD drives and the two Hitachi hard discs. I definately have different answers.

I then inserted the third drive (new one) into Bay 3, rebooted, and checked under Serial-ATA: it now shows a third Hitachi hard drive. But that's the only place I have any evidence of it.

So, I can see what's present. Thank you. I wonder what to do now?

Cannot see new hard drive in slot 3 on my Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.