Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to limit a folder's size

I'd like to limit a shared folder to a certain size

Is there anyway to do this? Some googling reveals I can use workgroup manager to do it on OSX server - but it seems this only applies to user's themselves and not the folder itself.

I'd like to limit a folder size to a fixed maximum - regardless of the user in question.

I'm under the impression it might be possible to do this by creating a disc image of a specific size and sharing that - but I'm wondering if maybe there is a way that makes more sense besides that?

Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 12:34 PM

7 replies

Jan 22, 2013 1:11 PM in response to Kappy

I have to impose such limits because I'd like to in order to manage a workflow

I want to prevent a directory from getting too filled up as it will create issues for the archiving methedology at the shop I work at

I can use osx server if it does provide this feature - however, we don't have a domain and getting one is a ways away (especially as a response to this issue), so if the feature only works through user management in the domain then it will be an issue. But, if for example, I can subscribe only the server to the domain, create size limitations on the directory, and still share it for others (not in the domain to access) then yes, that would solve my problem.

So maybe my question would be better asked in the form of - does workgroup manager in OSX server let me create the limitations 'locally', or do the clients have to be part of the domain for the limitation to work.

Jan 22, 2013 1:18 PM in response to freejazz_man

Since I don't use OS X Server I cannot answer that question. But were you to ask in the OS X Server and/or Developer forums you may find someone who can.

I suppose it's conceivable that you could attach a Folder Action that tests for the amount of data currently in the folder, then performs some appropriate action when the amount of data equals the imposed size limit.

If this shared folder is used by all the other users, then you could create it on a disk partition on the hard drive set to the desired size limit. This would be similar to using a disc image but easier.

How to limit a folder's size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.