Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help me understand Optimized Media in FCPX?

Cameras used:

Canon camcorder that records in AVCHD format

Canon DSLR camera that records video in MPEG 4

GoPro that records in MPEG 4

My editing software is FCPX

So, here are my questions:

I want to edit my footage in the Apple ProRes 422 that is created when I choose to import creating "Optimized Media". However, after I import, the Codecs box in the info window of the inspector still says "H.264". Why won't it use the optimized media that it created? This is very confusing to me. I've done several projects and have always checked the Create Optimized Media box, and I've looked at them all and they're all "H.264" in the inspector.

Is it better to use something like Clipwrap to create the ProRes files before importing?

If it's better to transcode to ProRes prior to import, is Clipwrap a good option? Will Compressor 4 transcode AVCHD files to ProRes?

Help!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Early 2012

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 3:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 3:23 PM

"However, after I import, the Codecs box in the info window of the inspector still says "H.264"."

The Inspector displays the original codec not the optimized codec. Select a clip in the timeline and use the reveal in finder function and you'll see it's pointing to ProRes QuickTime files in the Hogh Quality folder.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2013 3:23 PM in response to iPuzzled1

"However, after I import, the Codecs box in the info window of the inspector still says "H.264"."

The Inspector displays the original codec not the optimized codec. Select a clip in the timeline and use the reveal in finder function and you'll see it's pointing to ProRes QuickTime files in the Hogh Quality folder.

Jan 22, 2013 3:39 PM in response to iPuzzled1

If FCPX will import your video, using ClipWrap is a waste of time.

You can import your video as AVCHD and elect to transcode them at any time by right clicking on the clip in the Event browser and selecting Transcode Media from the contextual menu, or by choosing to have them transcoded when imported — it is entirely up to you.

FCPX will Transcode your media into Optimized Media (ProRes 422) and/or Proxy Media (ProRes 422 Proxy and resized to 1/4 the original size) for use in the storyline *if it has them* or it will use the *original* media if you elected *not* to transcode upon importing. [You need to select Use Original or Optimized or Proxy media in Preferences > Playback pane to tell FCPX which you prefer to be used.]

Selecting a clip and going to the Info inspector will still show the *original* properties of the original clips.

In general, you will probably want to transcode your original AVCHD or other highly compressed media into one or both types of transcoded media in order to fascilitate editing especially if effects are applied.

Help me understand Optimized Media in FCPX?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.