Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Save to PDF in TextEdit - Error While Printing

When I try to save a text file to PDF I receive the error message - "Error while printing". This only seems to be happening to text files I open or create in TextEdit. It works fine if I log in as a different user. I've run repair permissions and also deleted a couple of com.apple.print plist files in my user library, but the error remains.

Is there anything else I should try short of reinstalling TextEdit?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Rick

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 3:44 PM

17 replies

Jan 22, 2013 4:17 PM in response to rfreschner

Try deleting the com.apple.TextEdit.plist preference file from your Home/Library/Preferences folder.

NOTE: In Lion and Mountain Lion the Home/Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and hit the Enter button - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

OT

Jan 30, 2013 2:17 PM in response to rfreschner

On OS X 10.8.2, with TextEdit, I can open or create text documents and export to PDF without any issue.

Here are the two preference tabs and settings that work for me. You can single click on the images for a larger version.

New Document

User uploaded file

Open and Save

User uploaded file

PDF documents on OS X are created with binary content, which is the junk you observe.

Jan 31, 2013 1:42 AM in response to CT

CT - No I haven't found a fix or had too much time to investigate further. I have found that it's not happening with all text files and would write it off to as a corrupted file were it not for the fact that it's happening on new files also.

Thanks for the workaround tip with preview; I've actually switched over to using Text Wrangler for the time being.

Rick

May 29, 2013 5:26 AM in response to rfreschner

Greetings. this is my first post so be gentle...

In regards to the problem of getting a error while printing, my issue was that I save receipts from online purchases by saving them as PDF files from the Text/Edit or CmdP from the web page. Recently, I made another account on my mac book pro that I use for work files. If I try to save the PDF while in my work account, I get the error. Since the folders for saving the PDFs were made in my original account, I simply gave myself permission to store the PDF in the work folder and the error message went away.

Nov 8, 2013 11:43 AM in response to davemuth

Just tried davemuth's solution; in my case, there were seven files to delete:

com.apple.TextEdit.LSSharedFileList.plist

com.apple.TextEdit.LSSharedFileList.plist.lockfile

com.apple.TextEdit.plist

com.apple.TextEdit.plist.lockfile

com.apple.TextEdit.plist.RKwZEoG

com.apple.TextEdit.SandboxedPersistentURLs.LSSharedFileList.plist

com.apple.TextEdit.SandboxedPersistentURLs.LSSharedFileList.plist.lockfile

Unfortunately, this didn't work for me. The same two files rebuild themselves in the Library/Prefs folder, but still can't print to PDF from TextEdit.

Save to PDF in TextEdit - Error While Printing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.