Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPlay System Audio problems

Has anybody else had this problem?

I use AirPlay to stream audio to my AirPort Express quite a lot, and for situations outside of iTunes (Spotify, web audio, etc.) system AirPlay is really useful. Unfortunately, it's really unreliable and frequently messes up.

My biggest problem is that really randomly it refuses to change AirPlay devices. I hold down Alt, press the Volume menubar icon, select my AirPlay device and it just ignores it entirely.

If I go to System Preferences, Sound and select my AirPlay device, it just jumps back to Internal Speakers.

The only thing that fixes it is a restart. Which then leads me to the other problem, that the Alt menu only brings up one AirPlay device and I have like 5 different ones, so I have to go to System Preferences to see the full list. It remembers the last used which is good, but restarting clears that.

I'm using a Retina Macbook Pro with the latest Mountain Lion, all AirPort Extreme and Express base stations, just playing audio through the Express optical port.

I'm thinking it might have something to do with a conflict with iTunes built-in AirPlay, which continues to work even when I have this problem. It could be that using system AirPlay, then using iTunes AirPlay causes some problem and makes system AirPlay stop working. Quitting iTunes doesn't help though.

I should note that I can continue to use AirPlay from other devices to the AirPort Express or Apple TV, and as I said iTunes on Mac can continue to switch between AirPlay and internal fine, it's just limited to Mountain Lion system AirPlay which randomly decides not to work.

AirPlay video mirroring ***** as well but that's another story. Suggestions for fixing, or just crappy programming?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 7:44 PM

7 replies

Apr 7, 2013 1:24 AM in response to kakososato

I see you got the same problem

I am using for like four month a A5 speaker and like to watch movies in itunes so as you say in system preferences i choose it for output.

Sometimes it just doesn't work and when click it it back to internal speaker as happen to you.

Sometimes desconect it and conect works but no always

I find that it works more when restart

But anyways i forgott about it,when it happen i just listen to musicas you can do and may next day when i click it it works

Is strange but you no the only one having the issue

Apple is working on it i guess

I just give up and when it works fine if no i just ignore it and try later again and it use to work

I have lot of times the same problem and it reconect after some time lot of times

I am sure is a easy trick there but didn't find it jet

Hope it helps

AirPlay System Audio problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.