Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CanoScan LiDE 30

I got a CanoScan LiDE 30 and it installed and worked properly right away on my laptop (Windows 7) so I bought it because the Canon website said it would work on Mac 10.4, but it doesn't. I tried the install CD that worked on my laptop, and the download from the Canon website. I tried VueScan too but that wouldn't download. What can I do?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Canon CanoScan LiDE 30

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 10:29 PM

15 replies

Jan 27, 2013 8:14 AM in response to Edward5252

A wall powered USB hub is one that uses a power adapter to connect to the wall or your power strip. There are USB hubs that connect just to the computer and get their power from the computer. A hub is a device that takes one cable from the computer and allows you to hook up many devices through that one cable. If the scanner is expecting more power from your USB port, it may be disappointed because some ports on the Mac are low power, and hence connecting via a wall powered hub masks the low power issues of the Mac, and allows the device to work.

Jan 27, 2013 9:59 PM in response to a brody

Thanx, I'll try to get one. But according to the specs, my USB should put out 500mA, which is exactly what the scanner specs says it uses. Is that too borderline, both being rated at 500mA? I tried plugging it in directly to the back of the mini but that didn't do anything either.

More info: when I try to install from the CD it says there's no OSX 9 on it. When I try to install OmniScan I get Error (-61).

Jan 28, 2013 4:50 AM in response to Edward5252

You'll have to ask Canon about the Omniscan error. The Mac Mini could only run Mac OS 9 as Classic, if you used the original installer disc's restore function to install it. And as Classic, it has very poor driver support for Mac OS 9 drivers. You are better off using the built-in Twain support through Image Capture or looking for drivers on their website, if the CD just includes 9 drivers. 10.5 by the way has no Classic support. Neither do Intel Mac Minis with 4 or more built-in USB ports. As for the power, yes, if there is more than one item on the bus, it probably won't be able to power it. You can look at the System Profiler or System Information from the Apple menu (varies by Mac OS X version) to see what's on your scanner's USB bus.

Feb 1, 2013 12:14 AM in response to a brody

OK, I haven't found a wall-powered usb thing because I haven't looked around much because they both say 500mA. The Mac tech around here says to use TWAIN, but when I try it says I need to install 'libusb' and 'backends' first, but doesn't tell me how. I've no idea what it's talking about so I google it up and all I got was something about 'libraries' for usb printers or something like that, but nothing about how to download them so I'd like to try that before I try anything else, if someone could please explain to me how to download the 'libusb' and 'backends'.

CanoScan LiDE 30

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.