I know this issue has been posted many times in the past, and I have searched everywhere, but I am quickly running out of option but to repartition/reformat and do a clean install. I have important files on my computer (I know! Back up! Back up! Back up!) and need your help to preferably regain full access to my system or somehow find access to my files so I could transfer them to an external hdd.
From two days ago my as I was browing the net through Google Chrome my computer all of a sudden started to show the sippinig beach ball and became completely unresponsive. I could not force shut down any program or restart the system. So, I held down the power button and forced the system to shut down. When I rebooted the MB it all began going haywire. The boot process gets stuck in a grey screen with the Apple logo and the spinning wheel (not the beach ball) for a long time. After that I get the mouse pointer, and if I move that it turns to the spinning beach ball and nothing happens except that the screen flashes between silver and grey colors.
So here are the steps I have taken as to "attempt" to fix the issue (I have followed these instructions: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3353) :
1. Went into startup manager and ran the disk utility to verify disk volume and permissions. Everything seems to be OK.
2. Conducted a PRAM reset. No change.
3. Conducted a SMC reset. No change.
4. I did a fsck -fy run (in command mode) on startup. No change.
5. Ran the system in verbose mode and got the following error: "BootCacheControl : Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist"
6. And lastly, I created 10.8 OSX image on a USB stick and reinstalled ML one more time only to get stuck at the same place yet again.
Additionally, I can see my computer from my wife's MBP also running ML for a while. The folder that I have set the permission to be available, I can access! I have moved some files, but naturally the files that I want are in folders that have restricted network access. That just tells me the hard itself should be fine (perhaps).
I am running out of ideas fast to save the system. If anyone can help me, I'd be immensely grateful. Thanks.