Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no sound after mountain lion update

Just updated to mountain lion from snow leopard...

After the update process was complete (I am currently running 10.8.2 on a MBP 2.3 early 2011 model) I noticed that there was no sound from my macbook pro speakers, except from the startup chimes sound.

In the Sound Settings in system preferencies there is no longer any Internal Speakers option in the output tab. Just a simple Digital Out with the volume slider grayed out.

User uploaded file

Same thing with the Audio Midi Setup from Utilities where I am see a Built-In Output but all the sliders are grayed out as well.

User uploaded file

If I plug in my headphones then all sounds work. When I unplug them, then the problem continues.

I tried all the following that I read from other users:

• Rebooted
  • PRAM reset
  • SMC reset
  • Plug-Unplug the headphones.
  • Force Quit coreaudiod using the Activity Monitor Utility

Nothing has worked.

Any help will be appreciated.

Nas

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 12:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 2:37 AM

Have you tried to reboot with the headphones plugged in?

I know it sounds weird having to boot with headphones plugged in, but it worked for me.

2 replies

Feb 4, 2013 12:23 AM in response to Paco el Alpaco

Hi there.

Sorry about my late reply but my issue was solved unexpectedly... I plugged in again the headphones and I forgot to plug them out for 20-30 min... Then when I unplugged them the problem was solved!!!! Therefor I didn't have the chance to try your solution but I'll keep it in mind for next time.

(However I was also experiencing some other issues as well after the upgrade so I erased everything and installed from scratch. Hope it never happens again.)

no sound after mountain lion update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.