Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

On the notorious iPad keyboard . . .

I know this topic has been broached many times, but what is the solution for the horrendous iPad keyboard? I love the iPad, but this keyboard is maddening!!

iPad 2, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 6:23 AM

8 replies

Jan 23, 2013 6:58 AM in response to I'llhaveanother

Yes, we understand that you're referring to the iPad, though questions about the iPad are usually best posted in the iPad forum. What we do not know is what "solution" you are looking for or what the problem is with the keyboard that you are experiencing. You've not given us any information on which to even begin to guess about a suggestion. Just stating that you think the keyboard is "horrendous" or "maddening" doesn't tell us anything about what you wish help with.

Regards.

Jan 23, 2013 7:05 AM in response to I'llhaveanother

"I, likewise, am rather befuddled by your question.'

Really.

You did not mention a specific issue at all.

" but what is the solution for the horrendous iPad keyboard? "

You really think that is a specific issue?

What is horrendous about it?

I know no one with a keyboard issue on their ipad.

Certainly you see that " but what is the solution for the horrendous iPad keyboard? " is not a specific question.

Jan 23, 2013 8:45 AM in response to I'llhaveanother

Your "facetiousness" wasn't "inappropriate", it was flat uninformative, so no one could answer your issue as stated. If you want help here, you'd be best service by just stating your question or issue clearly, with full details, and without ranting or facetiousness. However satisfying such complaining may be, it isn't helpful.

Anyway, no, a third-party app cannot substitute for the keyboard in general. Some apps may provide their own keyboard, or an alternative such as stylus input, but that would work only within that app, though you can probably copy and paste to another app after doing the writing.

I've been using the iPad since it was first released and have never had a problem with the keyboard. Perhaps if you'll post details, we can offer suggestions. You can, of course, use an external Bluetooth keyboard, either one such as made by Apple or one of the several keyboard cases made, if you have a lot of typing to do.

Regards.

Message was edited by: varjak paw

Jan 24, 2013 7:04 AM in response to I'llhaveanother

Stylus input is a good idea, but only if it works directly through email, such as gmail. A stylus that operates only within the app is useless, and is not a viable alternative.

iOS does not have global support for a stylus - that was not Apple's design philosophy - so if you want a stylus working across all apps, then that's not an option for you.

Other inventive and practical ideas might involve voice recognition input technology.

As of the third-generation iPad, it does have voice input. There is also a third-party app, from Nuance, that allows dicatation on an iPad 2, but again it only works within the app; you then have to copy and paste the resulting text. So if you want system-wide voice recognition, you'd have to buy a new iPad.

I really don't know what you want from us. You just shoot down comments and suggestions, but won't tell us what problem you have with the keyboard. So unless you can give us more assistance in trying to help you, there's nothing more I can offer.

Regards.

On the notorious iPad keyboard . . .

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.